Board Games you like???????

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello everyone :)

Let me guess you are always that guy who acquired boardwalk, Park place and the railroads. While moving the top hat around the board?
Actually I preferred the race car and the acquisition of all the properties one one side including the railroad and the utility. I was in no hurry to get the hotels up I preferred the slow squeeze, kinda like being a python.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My parents and grandparents all had "Bridge Clubs" but my generation nor our children ever took up the habit and I wish I had. Great social game for adults.
I find the online version sorely lacking in most respects. Gone are the minor rule violations that lead to director calls.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
My parents recruited me at age 12 when they had 3 players and needed a fourth for bridge. I loved the game, and eventually reached the level of regional and national tournaments. I finally gave it up when I realized that playing for 3 hours 3 or four times a week, taking another few hours of reading and refining the partnership understanding was not nearly enough to advance. Literally have not played since.

As a competitive pursuit, I cannot think of any other where a peon like me could compete directly against national champions. There are open events at tournaments that allow this. And the thing that finally made me quit was when a single error by me knocked my team out of a second place finish. Nobody gave me any shit about it, we all played near perfect bridge for 27 out of 28 hands, but I couldn't take it.

Bob

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I guess chess is having a come back do to the new network series on netflix “ The Queens Gambit ”

The last time I remember we had buzz like this was way back in 1972, when Bobby Fischer, an American chess player, ended up being the world champion. And then six years ago, we had another movie, The Pawn's Sacrifice … but nothing like this. Nothing like this since 1972," Steve Sklenka, president of the Calgary Chess Club

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Ok for those interested, I’m a beginner in chess however I’ve been studying openings and am ready to play, @cmartinez @jpanhalt is there a chess program I can download sort of like “Among Us” where you can battle other people in random games or create your own and invite people you know?

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ok for those interested, I’m a beginner in chess however I’ve been studying openings and am ready to play, @cmartinez @jpanhalt is there a chess program I can download sort of like “Among Us” where you can battle other people in random games or create your own and invite people you know?

kv
There's plenty to choose from. I suggest you do a little googling and find a chess club that includes a beginner's level. It's very satisfying to play with people from all over the world.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Years ago, I tried some early computer chess. OK for practice maybe, but not nearly as a enjoyable as person to person. Compare computer chess to getting help from a "virtual" assistant at Lowes or Amazon.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you tried playing chess with the virtual assistant on Amazon or on your favorite site that has one?

That should be really interesting. Present in standard format a chess move and see how the "assistant" responds. You might even make the assistant hang up on you. :)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Have you tried playing chess with the virtual assistant on Amazon?

That should be really interesting if you present in standard format a chess move and see how the "assistant" responds. You might even make the assistant hang up on you. :)
I was playing pretty aggressively, he lol me when I was about to play a pawn to free my bishop, but then I had a queen placed in a stafford opening, had him in check in 3 moves.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The key to chess is persistence, killivolt ... after a while, many moves will become second nature to you and the game will become far more interesting...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I thought the key to chess was the ability to see fifty moves in advance.;)
Ya if your a Master, I’m an amateur, I can’t see possible moves of my enemy, only 2 moves ahead of my own. I played my Granddaughters today I lost 2 times to a twin then the middle child 10 beat me. But, they taught me a game called hell chess where you use the pieces from 2 chess boards, place a king each on the board then with your eyes closed you pick by random 7 pieces and place them as you like to start the game. I won that one.

kv

Edit: Give me a pool stick, and game on.

Last edited:

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Never had patience for chess, yet my older brother has been competitive for 40 years. His son has held state titles since high school. What amazes me is when they play without a board, all in the head. Crazy.