Bluetooth Audio Transceiver

phatstyles21

Joined Aug 11, 2007
Im not sure if anyone is familiar with sound powered phones, but that's basically what they are, sound powered phones. They're basically a headset with big speakers that double as mics and use the power of "sound" to vibrate a variable capacitor and send a current down a line to the headset on the other side. Theses phones are normally used in emergency situations where you can communicate in a closed circuit when power is lost. But where I work we use them all the time, mostly non-emergency situations where we still have power. The problem is that these headsets are huge, bulky and uncomftorble and I have to wear them for hours on end. So basically I'd like to replace the huge headset with a motorola bluetooth headset. The other problem is finding a simple bluetooth audio transceiver that I can hook up to the other end of the phone jack (where the sound powered phone would normally be plugged in to) that can be paired with the motorola bluetooth. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a bluetooth audio tranceiver, maybe pre-built or not that I can modify or implement into these sound powered phones.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you're in the Big Canoe Club, the best way out is to make rate & pass the talker's job to a less fortunate seaman deuce.

The (seriously) biggest priblem with your udea is that the bluetooth 'phones aren't compatible. With good sound-power stuff, the headphones can still act as microphones. Bluetooth ain't Mil-Spec.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I'm not too familiar with them. Can you provide a brand name and model or a link to where they are?

If you have the information of a manufacturer you could ask if they have a lighter weight system that is compatible.

You can buy bluetooth transceiver sets for older cell phones. This is one piece that plugs into the phone and then you can use any headset. That would provide two channels for transmit and receive.

The problem is creating an interface from the system you are using to the bluetooth device. That can be problematic without complete information on the system you are using and a knowledge of electronics.

Another problem would be how critical is it to use that specific device? It sounds like it's either seriously outdated equipment or there is some concern about communications during some pretty grim circumstances.

phatstyles21

Joined Aug 11, 2007
They're most often used in the military, but lots of commercial industries use them for other applications. By the way, it's also a non-official project, so I'm not too concerned with mil-specs; think of it as more of a personal experiment. It's just me and a couple of guys at work who all agree, we're sick of theses things. All the system has is pretty much one solid copper strand with a ground from one side to the next.(If you can imagine communicating through that you can pretty much forget I even mentioned the sound powered phone) I think I can build an interface just by splicing into existing connectors and hooking up a small amp, but for now my main concern was hooking a bluetooth audio transceiver to the line and communicating with the headset. The bluetooth transceiver set for old cellphones might work. I might be able to hack the side that normally plugs into the phone. I'm sure im skipping alot of steps here, but it seems simple enough at first. Thanks for the replys. The technology is 5 decades old and is very reliable, but anyone who wears these headsets for hours probably feels the same way I do. Heres a link if you want to see what I'm talking about http://www.crystalradio.net/radio/index.html

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Man did that bring back memories ... USI A560 ...

How reliable are the other forms of communications used in your "business"? Cell phones? Telephones? Do they offer comparable service 99.999% annually?

I'm sure there is a reason to use the sound powered phones other than "we've always done it that way."

phatstyles21

Joined Aug 11, 2007
There are closed circuit telephones, and hand held radios, no cell phones cause I work out at sea. But there aren't enough phone lines, or enough radios for everyone. I'm interested to know whether I can use the existing sound powered phone lines with bluetooth. My belief of why we use them is cause they're cheap, and they're also available. Though I don't think anyone's been around long enough to answer why they're the only alternatives, and yes I think because they've always done it that way. We don't ask questions.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My belief of why we use them is cause they're cheap, and they're also available.
They are the last line of communications when the ship is DIW. I don't think they every were cheap.

Are you sure your not in a naval service?

Advance from whatever your WQSB calls you to the next level and leave the talking to someone else.

phatstyles21

Joined Aug 11, 2007
They are the last line of comms, but that's the point we use them all the time, in non-emergency type situations where the need for a sound powered device doesn't exist and the ship still has power. It doesn't matter how low anyone is on the totem pole, even the head honchos have to use them. There's no escaping these mammoth devices.