BK precision BK4005DDS or BK precision BK4010A

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
Hi, I have never used a FG before. I want to buy one for my home lab. I have to decide between these two. In terms of specs they are both good, but i need to know which FG is more user friendly. Hope someone can help me out. Many thanks in advance

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hi, I have never used a FG before. I want to buy one for my home lab. I have to decide between these two. In terms of specs they are both good, but i need to know which FG is more user friendly.
User friendliness is too subjective.

What is the highest frequency you want? One goes to 5MHz and the other goes to 2MHz. The slower one has a lower lowest frequency and more output waveforms.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
User friendliness is too subjective.

What is the highest frequency you want? One goes to 5MHz and the other goes to 2MHz. The slower one has a lower lowest frequency and more output waveforms.
Many thanks for your kind reply dl324. Yes i also thought it has more waveforms. A teacher from a youtube vid told me they have the 2 mhz at their school for 3 years now. Students are beating on them, so i think they are durable. I want to use it for experimenting, audio and automotive work. I think 2 mhz is more than enough. What's you're opinion.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Field Goal, Senior member?? From a senior member i expected a little more friendliness.
Friendliness? What are you, twelve? From someone wanting information from others, I expect a little more information. No, wait... I expect a LOT more information. And I expect things to be spelled out. In my 40+ years as an Electrical Engineer, I've never heard of a function generator referred to as a FG. This is a Electronics Forum, not the sewer that is Twitter - spell things out.

Also, why are you asking us to make the decision on what you should buy, especially since you have given us exactly ZERO information on what you will use it for? Your question is the equivalent to asking, "What should I buy, a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry?" You then post the model numbers, expecting US to do the research for you. Sorry, but your mother doesn't post here.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I think 2 mhz is more than enough. What's you're opinion.
If it's good for your current needs, and then some, it's fine.
My first was of that ilk. Either BK Precision or Global Specialties.

I went for decades before getting my first function generator for my hobby. Though I did build something that would give me square waves using TTL and a crystal back in the 70's; never really used it.

In my 40+ years as an Electrical Engineer, I've never heard of a function generator referred to as a FG.
Tektronix was using FG on their TM500 series function generators back in the 70's (FG501, FG502, FG503, to name some).

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
If it's good for your current needs, and then some, it's fine.
My first was of that ilk. Either BK Precision or Global Specialties.

I went for decades before getting my first function generator for my hobby. Though I did build something that would give me square waves using TTL and a crystal back in the 70's; never really used it.

Tektronix was using FG on their TM500 series function generators back in the 70's (FG501, FG502, FG503, to name some).
Many thanks dl324. I will order the BK Precision BK4010A tomorrow. I will go on with that for now. If i need more in the long run i will look at more expensive ones like Rigol. Thanks again.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
Friendliness? What are you, twelve? From someone wanting information from others, I expect a little more information. No, wait... I expect a LOT more information. And I expect things to be spelled out. In my 40+ years as an Electrical Engineer, I've never heard of a function generator referred to as a FG. This is a Electronics Forum, not the sewer that is Twitter - spell things out.

Also, why are you asking us to make the decision on what you should buy, especially since you have given us exactly ZERO information on what you will use it for? Your question is the equivalent to asking, "What should I buy, a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry?" You then post the model numbers, expecting US to do the research for you. Sorry, but your mother doesn't post here.
Oops, don't be mad my friend. I didn't mean it like that. Yes you're right, i should have given more information. Next time i'll do better.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
That's in their model numbers. No one around me ever said, "What's your FG set at?"
That's in their model numbers. No one around me ever said, "What's your FG set at?"
You never know. Maybe we will all us FG in future to refer to a function generator.Okay stop being irritated at me for using FG to refer to a function generator. I want to use the function generator for experimenting, audio and automotive work. I think 2 mhz is more than enough. What's you're opinion?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If i need more in the long run i will look at more expensive ones like Rigol.
That's the way it is with tools. You buy something that satisfies your immediate needs and a little more. When you need something better, you'll have a better idea of what to look for.

I have a half dozen and most of the time I use them because I have them, not because I need them.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
That's the way it is with tools. You buy something that satisfies your immediate needs and a little more. When you need something better, you'll have a better idea of what to look for.

I have a half dozen and most of the time I use them because I have them, not because I need them.
Yes, i agree. This will be my first function generator. For a beginner i think the BK Precision BK4010A is well suited. Many thanks again.