binary data transmission through optical fibre

ohorit

Joined Mar 8, 2008
I am currently doing a project on power line data transmission.I have to use optical fibre to transmit 8 bit data through it.But am not finding any way for that.Can anyone help me with some references or some idea what I can do?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Start by looking at optocouplers, like a 4N25.

Look at a universal shift register like a CMOS 4034 or TTL 74LS199, 74LS299.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Optical fibers transmit light. Think of something like an LED to supply the light and a phototransistor to detect it. For high speed there are commercial modules to allow Gbit/second transmission rates.

ohorit

Joined Mar 8, 2008
We are using a optical fibre tranmitter and a receiver to transmit the data.Between the transmitter and receiver a optical fibre is connected.Is there any other procedure for data transmission,something easy!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sure, just place the receive end in a dark place with a phototransistor looking at the fibre end and shine a light on the transmit end. Arrange for turning the light on and off (on is 1, off is 0) following the data stream. If your transmission is one way, then that can work - although you might want to look at serial data protocols (start & stop bits, parity) before going that route.

If you want to send characters and numerals, consider using Morse code. Can't get simpler than that.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am currently doing a project on power line data transmission.I have to use optical fibre to transmit 8 bit data through it.But am not finding any way for that.Can anyone help me with some references or some idea what I can do?
This might be an impertinent question, but what is the connection between power line data transmission and optical fiber? They are completely unrelated as far as I know. Did you just associate these two concepts accidentally?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We are using a optical fibre tranmitter and a receiver to transmit the data.Between the transmitter and receiver a optical fibre is connected.Is there any other procedure for data transmission,something easy!
You need to define some requirements and you especially need to define "easy". I would wager large sums of money that your definition and mine would be separated by a canyon the size of the one in Arizona that the Colorado river runs through.

ohorit

Joined Mar 8, 2008
Power line data transmission is my subject what I am working on but a small part of it is sending digital data through an optical fibre.I think u have got it now my frd.
I have got a plan to use digital to optical and optical to digital converter in this process.Is there any instrument available or can I make the converters by myself??How can I?Any reference any1 have?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gosh, I think you've already been given lots of hints about that already in this thread. :confused:

Did you even take a look at optocouplers? That's going from digital to optical and right back to digital again, all in the same package! I thought that would give you a big hint as to using an LED on one end of the fiber optic line and a phototransistor or photodiode on the other end to receive it - but I guess you didn't make the connection.

If you are using a microcontroller like a PIC, that can make your task a bit easier, as they can source or sink up to 25mA per output pin; so you could directly drive an LED, using a suitable current limiting resistor.

If you're using discrete logic ICs, you will need to make a driver circuit. That could be as simple as a transistor with a current limiting resistor on the base, emitter to ground, LED on the collector with a current limiting resistor in series to Vcc/Vdd.