Bike powered Dynamo phone charger

Milkgod

Joined Mar 9, 2017
I'm trying to keep the circuit simple since I struggle with electronics. Here is a link to the project I'm using as a starting point I will also attach an image of the basic circuit.
I plan to use a 12v 100rpm DC motor or 24v depends which I can obtain easily.
I was going to use a switching voltage regulator module: LM2576 or LM2596 or mp1584.
This is going to output to a wirless charging coil instead of the USB thats in the diagram.
I've attached the image of the circuit that I'm basing the project off.

II know that the LM modules have a potentiometer to vary the output voltage, no idea how the MP1584 does it.
Is there a way to control the amperage that this will output? I'm trying to get 1Amp at least.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is there a way to control the amperage that this will output? I'm trying to get 1Amp at least.
Yes, the load determines the current draw from the 5V source. That is, the load controls the maximum current. If the generator cannot keep up with the current demanded by the load, the regulator voltage will probably sag.

Milkgod

Joined Mar 9, 2017
Yes, the load determines the current draw from the 5V source. That is, the load controls the maximum current. If the generator cannot keep up with the current demanded by the load, the regulator voltage will probably sag.
Sorry what do you mean the regulator voltage will sag?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If the load exceeds the capacity of the system, something has to give. My guess is that the first thing to fail will be the voltage regulation. The data sheets for the regulators probably address what they do when overloaded.