BiCMOS vs CMOS for Temperature Sensing

paddynbob

Joined Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys!

So I'm doing a little research into options for implementing an integrated temperature sensor into a design.

I've been looking into CMOS and BiCMOS solutions for this and can't really find any documentation of the advantages of doing this in BiCMOS, they generally look similar, but there must be some sort of advantage for using this more niche process?

Cheers for any insight anyone can provide!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Whether its CMOS or BiCMOS has little to do with temperature sensing.
What is the design that you are planning on doing this "integrated temperature sensor" into?

paddynbob

Joined Oct 30, 2017
Whether its CMOS or BiCMOS has little to do with temperature sensing.
What is the design that you are planning on doing this "integrated temperature sensor" into?
it's a control system for cooling a vibrometer! Its a uni project and hypothetical. Designed in Cadence etc

It's not a compulsory part of the course - at the moment we're using an off-the-shelf component, but for extra credit I'm writing a little about options for including temperature sensing built-in

paddynbob

Joined Oct 30, 2017
What is the purpose of the temperature sensor?
Is it to monitor the temperature of the vibrometer?
basically, yep! So outside is a temperature of 200oC, the insulation (plus some crazy other thermodynamic stuff i don't understand) keeps it somewhat above that, and my control system keeps it at 40oC plus minus a degree or two

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
basically, yep! So outside is a temperature of 200oC, the insulation (plus some crazy other thermodynamic stuff i don't understand) keeps it somewhat above that, and my control system keeps it at 40oC plus minus a degree or two
Okay, so if the chip has a built-in temperature sensor, the chip would need to be mounted at the 40°C point, is that correct?