Best way to amplify this 1w 8ohm speaker

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Depends on shat you mean by "larger". If you mean physically larger but with the same coil impedance, then yes, a larger speaker might be more efficient.

I don't think it has been confirmed that the speaker driver is a class D chip. If it is, many of them are designed for relatively low voltage applications, and can drive lower coil impedances safely (to increase the coil current and hence the output power). As long as you are trying different external speakers, try one with a 4 ohm coil.

Note: no warranty expressed or implied.

ak
Do you know any small but mighty loud speakers ( less than 2" round in physical size ) maybe on alibaba. Suitable for human voice, intercom

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Be aware that the speaker will mot be as loud as it can be if it is not in a box suppressing the sound from the back of the speaker.

Bob

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Thx trying physically larger speaker first.

Is there a way to measure the voltage coming from the device?

Its two wires, black and red.
Come on, im not that inept! :p
However, my qustion relates to line level of audio. For example audio jack on back of common pc has a level of ________?

Level on the back of a tv RCA audio out has a level of ________?

Level on the audio out of a hand held ipod has a level of __________?

And on and on.

Is there a good thread on measuring this "level or "power" or "volume" coming from intercom to factory speaker? Not even sure what to call it.

AND

Does the little amp care what this line source power is? Does it matter?

PS If hooking a physically larger speaker doesn't do the trick, will I need to add something to this to clean up the DC power? For clear amplification. The video doorbell connects to a variety of DC power, for a doorbell. So need to accommodate for multiple doorbell voltage ranges. 12-24v 500ma usually

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Before changing a whole lot you need to verify that the speaker is not also used as the microphone, which is frequently done in intercom systems. If that is the case then the challenge becomes more complex. And I am presuming that you have actually measured the speaker resistance and are not just assuming that it is 8 ohms. I have come across intercom speakers that were much higher resistances. But the question about the microphone is the big question. One simple option may be to substitute a small trumpet type speaker, which would be far more efficient, and able to serve as a microphone with no circuit changes and no additional amplifier.