Best way to amplify this 1w 8ohm speaker

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Hello! :D I have a 1w intercom speaker I want to amplify. Issue, I have no idea how much power is going to this speaker from intercom and how to step up power to accommodate a larger, more loud speaker. Any help much appreciated.

Attached is pic of small 1w speaker. I want it louder to a 1.5" speaker or 2" speaker.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

I have never seen a loudspeaker looking like that.
2" speaker seems rather small for any decent sound quality.
Can you post more information on the intercom? Model number? Links? Photos?

You are not likely going to get louder sound unless you replace or modify the amplifier.

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

I have never seen a loudspeaker looking like that.
2" speaker seems rather small for any decent sound quality.
Can you post more information on the intercom? Model number? Links? Photos?

You are not likely going to get louder sound unless you replace or modify the amplifier.
Thanks for the welcome! Its from a video doorbell. I took it apart and found this small speaker in there. Thinking of an inline micro amplifier to boost the signal to a louder speaker?

Goal is not boombox loud. Just loud enough to hear over heavy traffic in background. Think new york street.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Speakers are generally not capable of amplification. If you try to dump more audio power into them what you get is a mess of distortion.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A simple solution is to use an LM386 to amplify the signal and drive a more powerful speaker.
If you don't know how to do that just ask for help.
Or you can buy a ready-made LM386 module from the internet.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A simple solution is to use an LM386 to amplify the signal and drive a more powerful speaker.
I wouldn't make any sizable bet that this would be an improvement. I might risk a coffee against this proposition.

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Let me clear up question

Goal if possible:

Use the audio out of device and add a larger speaker (2" or 3"). I will build housing for upgraded speaker.

not just add amplification to current speaker, understand significant distortion would occur.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you need more power you can look for a class D audio amp, for example one based on 5128 chip.
Search for 5128 amplifier on ebay.

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Thank you very much, found a youtube video on how to make one. : )

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Post #3 image - in the lower right corner is an 8-pin chip. What are all of its markings? It might be the speaker driver, and knowing what it is is a clue to the signal level you have to work with.

Separate from that, what is your power source for the external speaker amplifier?

ak

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If the speaker is indeed 8 Ohms, you might be able to get more volume by disconnecting it and connecting a larger speaker in its place.

Bob

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Post #3 image - in the lower right corner is an 8-pin chip. What are all of its markings? It might be the speaker driver, and knowing what it is is a clue to the signal level you have to work with.

Separate from that, what is your power source for the external speaker amplifier?

ak
Chip looks like LED driver chip.

Power source is doorbell. Plan on making more than 1 so need filter to accommodate range of input. See attached pic for range.

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If the speaker is indeed 8 Ohms, you might be able to get more volume by disconnecting it and connecting a larger speaker in its place.
Depends on shat you mean by "larger". If you mean physically larger but with the same coil impedance, then yes, a larger speaker might be more efficient.

I don't think it has been confirmed that the speaker driver is a class D chip. If it is, many of them are designed for relatively low voltage applications, and can drive lower coil impedances safely (to increase the coil current and hence the output power). As long as you are trying different external speakers, try one with a 4 ohm coil.

Note: no warranty expressed or implied.

ak

stevef22

Joined Oct 30, 2019
Depends on shat you mean by "larger". If you mean physically larger but with the same coil impedance, then yes, a larger speaker might be more efficient.

I don't think it has been confirmed that the speaker driver is a class D chip. If it is, many of them are designed for relatively low voltage applications, and can drive lower coil impedances safely (to increase the coil current and hence the output power). As long as you are trying different external speakers, try one with a 4 ohm coil.

Note: no warranty expressed or implied.

ak

Thx trying physically larger speaker first.

Is there a way to measure the voltage coming from the device?

Its two wires, black and red.