Best way of communication between Lamps/Coffee maker/stuff?!

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Hi, I currently Use a nodemcu for my lamp on my desk. and to be honest after a few days that 20 lines of code made my life a lot easier.
I was thinking of making everything in my room controllable via my PC/Phone/Physically.

I could just buy 3-4 more node MCU. but that sounds like wasting them as they'll just be doing a simple task (3 PWM for rgb at most) and a single input for button. My main concern however is adding 4-5 more users to my router and going out of space for when we have guests, I was thinking of using 433mhz modules as they're dirt cheap and pair them with an at tiny for size and cheapness! but my 1$ module gives me nothing but noise. but it would be perfect as I could use the sender on my raspberry pi and all the other MCUs would listen for commands related to them.
NRF sounds nice too. but i was looking for your opinion! is there anything i'm missing?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
What about bandwidth? Are you streaming live video of the coffee maker, or crunching differential equations inside your desk lamp?

All you need to do is hit it with a few bytes of command code, or read a few lines of status data.

Putting those things together on a network node won't create a DoS attack on your home network.

Edit: just daisy chain another router to your first one. You just need more connections. Bandwidth will not be overwhelmed.

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
What about bandwidth? Are you streaming live video of the coffee maker, or crunching differential equations inside your desk lamp?

All you need to do is hit it with a few bytes of command code, or read a few lines of status data.

Putting those things together on a network node won't create a DoS attack on your home network.

Edit: just daisy chain another router to your first one. You just need more connections. Bandwidth will not be overwhelmed.
Thanks for your help!
I've seen a few commercial "smart " wall plugs are similar stuff have a 433mhz receiver /transmitter in them!

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
How big is this room and how much time will you use setting it up just so that you don't have to move your lazy butt to turn a light or coffee maker or whatever? o_O :rolleyes:

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
How big is this room and how much time will you use setting it up just so that you don't have to move your lazy butt to turn a light or coffee maker or whatever? o_O :rolleyes:
It's just... for fun :( and convenience! plus saving time!
I usually have headphones and my cord is not long enough :|
plus when you're in bed... it's hard to get out :c

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Maybe you could drive down the road and help him out. It looks like he lives close to Sawyer, ND - his location is listed as "hell".

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If he's so lazy he needs to automate his bedroom lights to be controlled off his phone he's too lazy to work with me.

I thought I was lazy having touch lamps on both sides of my bed but to not be able even reach that far to deal with lights is beyond me. :rolleyes:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If he's so lazy he needs to automate his bedroom lights to be controlled off his phone he's too lazy to work with me.

I thought I was lazy having touch lamps on both sides of my bed but to not be able even reach that far to deal with lights is beyond me. :rolleyes:
Just in time for Christmas, and fresh from the 1980s...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
From the title of the post, it seems he needs the coffee maker to communicate with the lamps. I'm not sure the OP is lazy or he needs help. Does he think the lamp can just ask the coffee maker for a bit more caffeine so he can shine all night?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'd like to know how he plans to get the coffee once it's done? Still gotta get up and walk all the way over there (2 - 4 steps each way?) and back at some point. :rolleyes:

IoT seems to be a cult with a hive like mind.....They're coming for us, they're coming for us.
I have my doubts. Obviously they are all stuck in bed by self imposed sloth, but, if one were to chase you we just walk normally and take the first flight of stairs. It will be as if you sprouted wings and flew away! :p

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yeah but the Daleks eventually were able to negotiate stairs. ;)
Perhaps but I have doubts that the OP has any degree of anti gravity tech at his disposal. :rolleyes:

Besides, if they have so little energy and motivation they can't get out of bed to turn a light on or off to begin with if you just keep walking they will get tired and just give up. Sure you may have to walk and extra 50 - 100 feet (10 - 20 if you cut across the grass because you know just how energy draining squishy that stuff is) if they are really determined but really, is that so hard for a normal person anyway? o_O

I mean afterall, We're clearly not talking zombie levels of motivation to pursue you. Especially once they pass the range limit of their WiFi systems. :oops: