Best viewing angle for front panel LEDs?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What is usually the best viewing angle for front panel LED indicators that would be housed in one of those flush LED holders.

I have so,e 60 deg in stock but I am about to order from Mouser so not adverse to ordering some LEDs. Should I go narrower? Or is 80 deg about right?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
What is usually the best viewing angle for front panel LED indicators that would be housed in one of those flush LED holders.

I have so,e 60 deg in stock but I am about to order from Mouser so not adverse to ordering some LEDs. Should I go narrower? Or is 80 deg about right?
For panel indicators, I'm partial to the flat-faced LEDs with a textured surface (like a Fresnel pattern). They don't seem to be available much anymore. I haven't used them in years.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It all depends on your particular application and what the desired view point is required to be.
Also what environment they are expected to be in?
e.g. Some industrial environments require protection such as semi flush etc.
If this is not an issue, there is the type that replaced the old 6v-24v bayonet cap and have LED lamps in them.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It all depends on your particular application and what the desired view point is required to be.
Also what environment they are expected to be in?

Max.
On my desk. ;) This is for my analog meter clock project to indicate various statuses like AM/PM and low backup battery.