Best suitable transistor for LC oscillator

Naveen Sankaran

Joined Nov 7, 2017
I am using BC337 NPN transistor in a colpitt oscillator circuit which looks like this.

I know that this transistor is not the best suitable one. I am trying to figure out suitable one, which is less temperature dependant. Factors like Thermal Resistance are useful but not much. Any other suggestions on what factors I should look for?

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
ALL transistors are temperature dependant. But diodes are also temperature dependant. So put a diode (1N4148 or equivalent) in series with R2 (and change the value of R2 so that the biasing is the same as before).

Naveen Sankaran

Joined Nov 7, 2017
ALL transistors are temperature dependant. But diodes are also temperature dependant. So put a diode (1N4148 or equivalent) in series with R2 (and change the value of R2 so that the biasing is the same as before).
Thank you for your reply. By this, you are suggesting a temperature compensation method. I tried this, by selecting a diode of matching characteristics that of the transistor. The results were not so different. I saw another compensation method using PNP transistor.

Any suggestions on that?

Attachments