best radar for object detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinizhr

Joined Feb 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm newbie when it comes to radars and need some help.
I want to make a radar that can detect people/objects from the back of the car when it is reversing.
I have demo position2go kit, but I can't seem to configure it to detect reliably.
Sometimes it detects when nothing is there and sometimes it doesn't detect objects(people), and usually it detects "ghosts" (short blimps).
I have been using Infineon's radar GUI for that tests and it seems easy to setup but it just doen't work.

Does anyone have any experience with radars for object detection?
Is it just me or position2go demo doesn't work as they claim?

Please help me, I can compensate you for your help, I just need that to work.

Thanks for any reply in advance.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

Infineon is a will established company with a good record. This is your first attempt with a product that others get to work. I suspect it is you.

There are lots of ultrasonic detectors on the market. Have you tried any of them?

Martinizhr

Joined Feb 18, 2020
Hi,

AlbertHall I know that but I would like to implement radar system.

jpanhalt I agree with you. But I haven't been successful in reproducing their results, and first demo is supposed to be just plug and play. Do you have any experience with that demo kit or radars in general?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have experience with aviation radar, but not that unit. I also have experience the the current generation of TOF LADAR distance/obstruction detectors. The unit you are trying to use is quite specific. Does Infineon have a user blog to discuss it?

Martinizhr

Joined Feb 18, 2020
They have a user blog but nobody is answering there.

Do you have any idea why I can't detect people walking in front of the radar and at the same time having random detections (like it is not sensitive enough to detect objects in front of it and in the same to be so sensitive to detect noise)? That is the best explanation I can give you. If you want I can make a video where you can see what is happening?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
One fantastically mighty tool is the 1$ usb camera processed via LabView. It have unbeatable capacity to "understand" what is it sees. The characteristic signatures may contain the face, textiles, speed of move or direction of move.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
They have a user blog but nobody is answering there.

Do you have any idea why I can't detect people walking in front of the radar and at the same time having random detections (like it is not sensitive enough to detect objects in front of it and in the same to be so sensitive to detect noise)? That is the best explanation I can give you. If you want I can make a video where you can see what is happening?
I would have to go through the manual thoroughly, but even then, I would not know your set up. My suggestion is to go step by step. Can it detect a hand? And so forth.

There are some things about radar that can lead to loss signals, such as an object coming toward it at exactly the right speed or multiple thereof, so it is "blanked" and does not seem to move. I don't think that's the issue in your case. But you might be well served to get some background in radar.

If there is no response on the Infineon blog it could be that responses there are much slower or your question is so basic no one wants to take the time to answer it. I have used the Microchip blogs on occasion. They are better for hardware questions than for coding in my experience. It can take several days to get a response and the company is not very active on them. How long was your question on the Infineon blog? If a week or more, have you tried technical service at Infineon?

Your problem seems to be hardware and very specific hardware at that. The chance that someone here will have the experience to walk you through set up and operation is slim, but not nil.

Hi everyone,

I want to make a radar that can detect people/objects from the back of the car when it is reversing.
I have demo position2go kit, but I can't seem to configure it to detect reliably.
Sometimes it detects when nothing is there and sometimes it doesn't detect objects(people), and usually it detects "ghosts" (short blimps).
I have been using Infineon's radar GUI for that tests and it seems easy to setup but it just doen't work.

It's working well. I customized the firmware of Position2Go and I update the feature. Is it working well for you now?
If not, I'll help you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's working well. I customized the firmware of Position2Go and I update the feature. Is it working well for you now?
If not, I'll help you.
The last post before your reply was 3 and 1/2 years ago. The TS was last seen almost a year ago. Seems unlikely he will benefit from your experience.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
One another good tool may be proximity sensor by microwaves produced at Polish land. It sensitivity may be adjusted between 1/2 meter and 8 meter afar. Absolute foolproof and even rainproof, and cheap. Like this in a link. They exist in versions with 220 V or 12 V supply. The search phrase in the Allegro is <czujnik mikrofalowy12V> May try to find it as well at aliexpress, ebay, amazon etc

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi everyone,

I would suggest you look at FM-CW radar technology which is relatively new to the low cost sensor market. In particular, the HiLink product range is very good. It is actually able to distinguish people from other objects and is very flexible.

I briefly wrote it up here. I am still working on a full review but currently my studio is in a state of flux making that impossible. I should have that sorted before the winter, though.

The boards can be configured to behave in a variety of ways, and it may well be a good option. I suspect that an array of the detectors would work better for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.