Bench Oscilloscopes for under $200

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Ham radio swap meets, local ads? Make sure it has been running for a while before you decide to buy; I was about to hand over cash for an old Tektronix when the display went funny and smoke came out. The price dropped to zero, so I took it home anyway; haven't fixed it yet.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ham radio swap meets, local ads? Make sure it has been running for a while before you decide to buy; I was about to hand over cash for an old Tektronix when the display went funny and smoke came out. The price dropped to zero, so I took it home anyway; haven't fixed it yet.
What is the model of the Tektronix? Give us a shout if you need help fixing this.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I actually found the FNIRSI 1014D at US$ 167 at Amazon.
Includes 3 probes.
As a reviewer mentioned, there are Tektronix passive probes which are more expensive than this!!!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Hmmm... All I see is one channel 200kHz Finrisi. But still a good deal @ 30USD and less. I did see a nice one for less than 30 bucks but the shipping was almost 80 bucks. Common trick there.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Creative advertising.
Watch the options carefully when placing an order.
What you get for $30 is a single probe, not the DSO.
The DSO and all accessories is still about $200.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
These bargain priced DSO's generally all have one fault in common, poor sensitivity.

You might think their sensitivity will meet your needs and it may if you only use a high capacitance low BW 1x probe.
Connect a 10x low capacitance probe that any serious user does and it becomes a very different story.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
The key word was old so Rifa caps, 15V tants on 12V rails or prereg decided to throw in the towel.
All common failures with old gear.
According to my notes, it's a 2213 (it's stashed away in storage). The display went bright and fuzzy as the smoke started. Last time I searched, I found a couple of discussions that also talked about bad caps:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-2213a-psu-problem/
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=310487

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2213
says it was introduced in 1982, so that makes it new compared with my previous oscilloscopes (Eico, Telequipment).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am very familiar with the Tektronix 2213. Let me know if you need help with this.
If you are going to attempt a repair on this, start a new thread in the Technical Repair forum.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I actually found the FNIRSI 1014D at US$ 167 at Amazon.
Includes 3 probes.
As a reviewer mentioned, there are Tektronix passive probes which are more expensive than this!!!
Indeed, the Tek P6139B sells at around $670 US. On the other hand, it is likely to considerably exceed it's specifications rather than drastically fail to meet them. There are other considerations too, such as traceability, reparability, durability and so on. Not that all of us need a 500MHz passive probe whose performance will literally stand up in a court of law, but some people do.