Beginner help connecting button to electric cabinet latch

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
That looks like just a dumb mechanical latch (no electronics in it), I'm guessing the solenoid will remain pulled as long as it's getting power. 0.8 second is probably a minimum required to get it to unlatch. I guess my point is, you might not need anything more than a button and a 12v supply, maybe a single diode for when you release the button.

UnknownElementX

Joined Feb 20, 2019
That is true, however, reviews say it gets very hot if current flows through it longer than the .8 so I was aiming to ensure it is only getting that brief pulse even if the button is depressed for longer (in case someone holds it down or soemthing falls on the button, so the house doesn't burn down. Haha)

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
If that is a concern, it would be a good idea (and probably cheaper/easier) to just add an auto-resetting breaker or fuse in-line.

UnknownElementX

Joined Feb 20, 2019
If you guys agree that that is a good option then that sounds simpler, though I'd need advice on what exactly to purchase and how to properly connect it.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
A slow trip that will ship support the running current for a few seconds before tripping.
Yes, I guess a thermal trip might be slow enough.
Maybe a suitable PTC might do the job and they are self-resetting. I don't know enough about their characteristics to know whether there is a suitable one for this application.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
A PTC sounds like a possibility. This may not be THE one that you would use, but for an example here's one that trips at 1.5A and takes 1.5 seconds to trip. And here's a search where you can narrow down options, such as how much current is required to make it trip, and how long it takes to trip, etc.. I suspect there will be a little bit of trial and error to get it dialed in, but they're inexpensive. Maybe a first step would be connecting the latch with an ammeter in series to see how much current it actually draws while holding the button down.

Maybe someone who has more experience with these things can chime in on how to properly size one.

UnknownElementX

Joined Feb 20, 2019
I got the FRM01 wired up to a momentary limit switch and working perfectly. It is a bit large but I'm 3D printing a housing to stash it out of the way and just run the cables from it to the powersource, latch, and switch. Thanks again for all the help!