Beats headphone cable replacement

Unnar Örn Ólafsson

Joined Apr 22, 2018
I've got Beats headphones, not wireless. The jack connector broke so I wanted to replace it. When I cut the cable to see the wiring it had something more like cloth threads instead of the usual copper threads. Should I expect any problems with replacing it with a normal headphone cable?

Talked to my local electronics vendor and he said that there weren't that many that could solder a cable like the the original one in the headphones. So that's why I want to go "old school".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I was going to suggest just asking Beats until you said you cut the cable. The better brands will often replace failed products even beyond warranty. I don’t know anything about Beats but their pricing is high enough to cover a few replacements I think. But with a cut cable?

The fibers you see are not the conductors, which are very small and can be challenging to fix. It can be done but experience helps.

Unnar Örn Ólafsson

Joined Apr 22, 2018
I was going to suggest just asking Beats until you said you cut the cable. The better brands will often replace failed products even beyond warranty. I don’t know anything about Beats but their pricing is high enough to cover a few replacements I think. But with a cut cable?

The fibers you see are not the conductors, which are very small and can be challenging to fix. It can be done but experience helps.
I cut the cable next to the broken jack, did that at the electronics vendor to see what kind of a cable it was.