Battery Power for a Blastech DL-44

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm regrettably stuck finding a power source for a Blasteck DL-44 I am building. This was designed for a 4.5 V source to provide about 60mA on an intermittent basis to illuminate the blast chamber. I do have a bit of room inside the receiver and intended to place 3 AAA batteries, but any sort of holder is just too large (unless I do something custom, which is an open possibility).

Anyway, would someone please suggest a battery type and holder that can fit inside a volume less than 17x35x48mm?

DL-44.jpg

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I have a bunch of batteries I saved from old cordless phones. I THINK they were 1.2V per cell, three cells, so 3.6V. A fourth would be 5V. But I don't know if that'd fit.

I also have a bunch of old cell phone batteries that are still good. You'll need to fabricate a connector of some sort, but those might be just a bit too big.

Is that a weapon or a toy?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
would someone please suggest a battery type and holder that can fit inside a volume less than 17x35x48mm?
What is your voltage tolerance?

There are many sizes of Li-ion batteries. I bought some 18500's to fit in flashlights using a 3 AAA holder. For something smaller, there are 16340's, but fully charged they're around 4.2V. It makes no difference for 3 AAA flashlights and runtime is significantly longer than NiMH.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A brand new cheap AAA Super Heavy Duty battery from you-know-where will fade 60mA away in seconds.
3 Name-brand Alkaline cells will produce 4.5V dropping to 4.05V for 2.4 hours at 60mA.
3 Name-brand Ni-MH cells begin at 4.2V then drop to 3.75V in 10 hours at 50mA.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I doubt all of these things. Black powder is either unknown or unavailable during the time this weapon was popular.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greedo
OK, but to an engineer who is not a Star Wars fanatic., and watched that movie MANY years ago, it looks more like a black powder pistol, which there are a bunch of them available even today. The exposed hammer and visible chamber gave it away.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
just said that because the exposed hammer looks a bit like the hammer on on friends muzzle loader.
There are so many pistols with an exposed hammer I can't even imagine you or anyone else saying that makes it "look like" a black powder any thing.

part on the other end reminds me of a crude muzzle-flash supressor
What pray tell muzzle loader has or ever had a flash suppressor?

And I see you are back to throwing stones again.
You keep saying ignorant things that you have no, none, knowledge about. If pointing out that your saying things just to get point counts is throwing stones......

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
OK, but to an engineer who is not a Star Wars fanatic., and watched that movie MANY years ago, it looks more like a black powder pistol, which there are a bunch of them available even today. The exposed hammer and visible chamber gave it away.
In post #3, it is clearly ascribed to someone named Greedo. A Google search for Greedo returns the reference to which I linked. Clearly ascribing it to a fantasy weapon. A little research would have avoided snd misconceptions.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Black powder laser pistol? OK, now I'm confused.

Does it matter what it is? All we need to know is the TS wants to know what kind of battery(ies) can be hidden inside the pistol grip. And I've never heard of a battery powered powder loader either. But I, too, am no expert.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
The DL-44 heavy blaster pistol, also known more simply as a DL-44 blaster pistol, was a type of heavy blaster pistol produced by BlasTech Industries[1] that was used during the years of the Galactic Republic and the Age of the Empire. It was considered one of the most powerful blaster pistols in the galaxy, delivering massive damage at close range; however, it overheated quickly.[4] There existed a carbine variation of this blaster that included an extended barrel with the existing flash-suppressor and an attachable stock. This version was used by Tobias Beckett in the trenches of Mimban before he deconstructed his DL-44 and gave it to Han Solo.[5]

Source: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/DL-44_heavy_blaster_pistol

OK, clearly a toy. A battery powered toy. No black powder, no real bang, just a bunch of noise and light.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I leave you guys alone for one day and...

Apparently the link to the Star Wars scene where HAN SHOT FIRST was overlooked as I attempted to end the fun and turn all the cards over. At least most of you figured it out.

The stated limiting dimensions come from a hollow space where the magazine would go IF THIS WAS ANYWHERE NEAR A REAL GUN. I knew the dimensions since I took the 3D model of the receiver, made it negative, and used that to carve out a block to the space.

From there, it was a short hop to carve out the batteries from that shape. First prototype shown below.

DL-44 power.jpg
Thanks for your assistance.

As far as buying this off the innerwebs, well, this is a maker site, isn't it? I printed the dang thing for my son in law. Mostly downloaded files, but several areas I have done my own remixes.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So why should I know, or care, who carried such a pistol??? Some Mafia enforcer named "Greedo"??? Who cares??? Not me!
Now as for what sort of battery pack that can deliver a bit over 4 volts, that can be three of the coin cells stacked flat, with very thin copper strips to make contact. OR, if the dimensions don't allow for that thickness, then two stacks of two cells in the magazine area, not touching each other. That will give six volts with fresh cells, OK for brief flashes but too much for constant illumination.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there...Nice to meet you so to speak.
:) Type: A11, alkaline, cylindrical
Nominal voltage: 6V
current capacity : 55 mAh
Size: dia. × h. (mm) 10.3 × 16.0
Usually contains a stack of four LR932 button cells shrink wrapped together.
photo_1638865625285.png

There are so many pistols with an exposed hammer I can't even imagine you or anyone else saying that makes it "look like" a black powder any thing
That looks like a black powder- coated blaster that Han Solo used.
Gotcha!:cool:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hello there...Nice to meet you so to speak.
And very nice to meet you too sir.

Thanks for the suggestion. Those A11's would be a good solution but so dang expensive! The custom fit 3xAAA holder is coming along well using the metal bits from another AAA holder that didn't quite fit.
That looks like a black powder- coated blaster that Han Solo used.
Nah, not quite yet, mostly straight stock non glossy Inland PLA+. The pic is a full assembly to make sure I had all the pieces in one place as this thing has some 37 individual prints, plus reprints and remixes and other additions I made. Once I had the pic everything was taked apart and put into the box its sitting on for painting. Several coats of matt black will be laid down until the layer lines are gone. Then to try a technique I spied on YouTube where you coat the body with graphite powder brushed on, then over coat of matt clear for a gun metal look.