basic op amp symbol question

benmb

Joined Feb 28, 2015
Hi, I have a dumb beginner question about the meaning of certain ways of drawing symbols in an electrical diagram.
What is the difference in meaning when connection of an element (say, a capacitor) has the legs connected to the surface of the triangle op amp symbol, as opposed to connecting the outer V+ or V- inputs to the output?
For example, the .001 uF capacitor shown in this picture, as opposed to the .0068 uF capacitor?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The o.oo1 capacitor is used to compensate the high frequency response of the amplifer. It is hooked across two unnumbered pins coming out of the IC. Look up the data sheet for that opamp, and that will describe its use.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Welcome to AAC.

Learn from the confusion; someone else couldn't be bothered to label their schematics in a meaningful way -- heck, they put the pin numbers on the I/O pins but couldn't even put the pin numbers on the compensation pins. Hopefully you think they should have done a better job, so learn from their sloppiness and when drawing schematics of your own that others might have to read and don't make the same sloppy mistakes.

benmb

Joined Feb 28, 2015
The o.oo1 capacitor is used to compensate the high frequency response of the amplifer. It is hooked across two unnumbered pins coming out of the IC. Look up the data sheet for that opamp, and that will describe its use.
Thank you! I just learned a heckuvalot about op amps by reading through that data sheet

benmb

Joined Feb 28, 2015
Welcome to AAC.

Learn from the confusion; someone else couldn't be bothered to label their schematics in a meaningful way -- heck, they put the pin numbers on the I/O pins but couldn't even put the pin numbers on the compensation pins. Hopefully you think they should have done a better job, so learn from their sloppiness and when drawing schematics of your own that others might have to read and don't make the same sloppy mistakes.
Definitely. I doubt this will be the last question I ask about this circuit diagram here.