Basic Elecrtonic help needed

fr8soulja

Joined Jan 14, 2006
Hi there,

Basic question here about very basic electronics which I should know from my school days, but Ive 4goten.

Basically, I wanna make one of those small motors turn using a sqaure 9 v battery, can I hook the battery straight up to the motor or do I need somthin inbetween? Ive tried and it works for a cipla seconds then dies, what so I do?

Thanks alot

MEGA_AMPERE

Joined Jan 14, 2006
9V batt might burned the motor if it's a small one that works on small current .

you should try to buy a nother motor that works on 9V
and yes you can put somthing bettwen the batt and the motor ..... how a bout a switch
on\off switch .

fr8soulja

Joined Jan 14, 2006
Originally posted by MEGA_AMPERE@Jan 15 2006, 02:08 AM
9V batt might burned the motor if it's a small one that works on small current .

you should try to buy a nother motor that works on 9V
and yes you can put somthing bettwen the batt and the motor ..... how a bout a switch
on\off switch .
[post=13134]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks alot for reply, yeh its a small motor but i wouldnt have though the battery would burn it out, then again I wouldnt know too well. Im not botherd about a switch, all I want is a small motor to work when i connect a battery to it...

Thanks alot

peajay

Joined Dec 10, 2005
Frequently when batteries are dead, you can get some power out of them for a few seconds and then they're really drained, but not using them for a while will allow another few seconds of power to build up inside the battery. Maybe that is the problem you are having. If so, using a fresh battery should fix it up.

It's also possible that the same type of thing is occuring because the motor requires more power than the battery supplies, and so the battery can just get the motor moving for a short time, but soon wears out. If this is the case, then a bigger battery should help.

I've never heard of a DC motor than ran on less than three volts, and I can't imagine a 9v battery would burn out such a motor. Instead it just would make it really hot if anything, and perhaps burn it out after some hours of use, but not in just a few seconds.

Are you perhaps using a motor out of a cassette tape player? Those motors frequently have electronics inside of them to ensure that they spin at a specific speed, and supplying the wrong voltage to those electronics certainly might burn something out fairly quickly.

fr8soulja

Joined Jan 14, 2006
Thanks so much again for that reply,

I purchases the motor from here Electronics Website

Thats the exact model im using with the 9v battery, the same as we used to use in school. The battery had no problem powering the motor but for some reason the motor isnt going. Ive connected the battery to the motor via one of those PP3 Type Battery Snaps. Again, for some reason, the motor wont go...

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by fr8soulja@Jan 15 2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks so much again for that reply,

I purchases the motor from here Electronics Website

Thats the exact model im using with the 9v battery, the same as we used to use in school. The battery had no problem powering the motor but for some reason the motor isnt going. Ive connected the battery to the motor via one of those PP3 Type Battery Snaps. Again, for some reason, the motor wont go...
[post=13157]Quoted post[/post]​

hi,

have you considered your motor to be busted? did you make a continuity test?

moz

fr8soulja

Joined Jan 14, 2006
Whats a contituity test? :) i dont know much about electronics, it might be, but I just bought it from that website so i figured it wasnt broken, how to i know if it is?

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by fr8soulja@Jan 16 2006, 02:18 PM
Whats a contituity test? :) i dont know much about electronics, it might be, but I just bought it from that website so i figured it wasnt broken, how to i know if it is?
[post=13175]Quoted post[/post]​
I saw there was no description from the website about its operating voltage. Most of those small motors run on 1.5v or 3v.

Try to power the motor with a single C, or D cell, or even an AA cell. If it runs OK then it is drawing more current from your 9v PP3 battery than it can supply.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by pebe@Jan 16 2006, 06:29 PM
I saw there was no description from the website about its operating voltage. Most of those small motors run on 1.5v or 3v.

Try to power the motor with a single C, or D cell, or even an AA cell. If it runs OK then it is drawing more current from your 9v PP3 battery than it can supply.
[post=13180]Quoted post[/post]​
Pebe is right, that is a 1.5V to 3V motor rated at 320mA at no load and 760mA at full load.

fr8soulja

Joined Jan 14, 2006
thanks alot guys, thats really helped, could someone please tell me which type of motor would be perfect for a sqaure 9v battery? thanks

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
A 9v motor would be perfect for your 9v battery. The kind that come with Lego brand toys are 9v motors.

Some of these would work. The RE360 would not be "perfect," but would be close enough.

The motor you bought from Maplin is "Small D.C. Motor • Ideal for the model enthusiast • Small overall size 20mm x 30mm • 1.5 to 3V operation • 8700rpm Off Load • " according to their website.

To check continuity on the motor, use an ohm meter. Check your battery with a voltmeter. Either of them might be bad.