Backfeed CR2032 with 3.3V a safety issue?

bfarmer54

Joined Mar 25, 2015
I have a battery powered (CR2032) project that could be also fed with 3.3V from a USB/Serial connector if the battery is left in the device. Is this a safety issue?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, it's an issue. That will eventually overcharge a battery that isn't meant to be recharged. It may not be terribly unsafe, but it will destroy the battery. A blocking diode would solve the problem but you don't have much voltage to work with. A switch of some kind might be a better solution.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Not advisable. Here's data for CR2032 from Energizer; it states maximum allowable charging current is 1μA.
upload_2016-5-11_6-53-5.png

That being said, I have seen LED flashlights with a crank generator to charge them and the battery has always been a lithium coin battery. When the batteries no longer charged with the crank, I've successfully recharged the batteries with a low current but larger than 1μA.

bfarmer54

Joined Mar 25, 2015
Yes, it's an issue. That will eventually overcharge a battery that isn't meant to be recharged. It may not be terribly unsafe, but it will destroy the battery. A blocking diode would solve the problem but you don't have much voltage to work with. A switch of some kind might be a better solution.
Not worried about destroying the battery as it is documented that the battery should be removed before using connecting external power.

That said, some fool will not read the documentation (or follow it). I just don't want the battery to explode.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's what I alluded to in #2, but he mentioned a USB feed in the same breath with 3.3V and confused me. I'm not sure about what source he wants to use. A traditional, cylindrical power jack with a switch is easy to find.