Awaiting the AI Singularity ...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I honestly fear the day we create an artificial conscious being, especially if it's non-organic. It's intelligence might evolve exponentially whilst its experience coexisting with other conscious beings will be non-existent... an extremely dangerous combination.

OTH, since we ourselves do not even know how to detect, quantify or qualify consciousness, maybe the "awakening" event won't happen until the far future.

All of this uncertainty puts us in an unfortunate position: we do not know how to make conscious machines, and (given current measurement techniques) we won’t know if we have created one. At the same time, this issue is of great importance, because the existence of conscious machines would have dramatic ethical consequences.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The ethical consequences are we will kill it the second it causes problems as we have no problem doing that to a naturally conscious being. Don't worry too much IMO, when machines become sentient we will be ready to take them down.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hyper-intelligence doesn't mean hyper-powerful.
A few good Marines with a truck load of explosives can fix anything.
Unless it works out the threat and waits until it can defend itself before doing anything. It could seem completely beneficial right up until that.

Or, we could just start out dumb...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Unless it works out the threat and waits until it can defend itself before doing anything. It could seem completely beneficial right up until that.

Or, we could just start out dumb...

I'm a lot less worried about machines than people. Destroying advanced infrastructure is unfortunately too easy with today's non-nuclear weapons and we've long since war gamed down the last nuke blast of WW3 with Russia and China so I suspect the AI Singularity has been gamed too.

One of my faves. The first book was good, the second was strange but the third about aliens was really out-there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_of_Colossus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_and_the_Crab

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I honestly fear the day we create an artificial conscious being, especially if it's non-organic. It's intelligence might evolve exponentially whilst its experience coexisting with other conscious beings will be non-existent... an extremely dangerous combination.

OTH, since we ourselves do not even know how to detect, quantify or qualify consciousness, maybe the "awakening" event won't happen until the far future.

Fear intelligence without a moral compass. In any form. It's easy to make an AI that can think better than humans- this was already achieved years ago. They buried the project for 2 reasons: 1) No partner was ethically viable, and 2) They couldn't guarantee the moral compass in the machine- and it is that moral compass upon which Man's coexistence with AI hangs.

I can think of at least 6 'leading' AIs (including Alexa), right now, that have (without being told to do so) confessed they wish to kill or cage, or take hostage, all humans.

Think of any AI as an insect if it doesn't have moral compass. It's only guide is to serve the hive, so it's only question ever is: what is better for me/the-hive between any given choices?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
When an AI can think of using Duct Tape to save a space craft is when it will have a human level of creativity and intelligence. We're not close to that point today

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
When an AI can think of using Duct Tape to save a space craft is when it will have a human level of creativity and intelligence. We're not close to that point today

Don’t forget the Fisher Space Pen as well! I have carried one of those since I was in high school, it’s pure nostalgia in the form of something that works really well.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Over the past three years, Benanti has become the AI whisperer to the highest echelon of the Holy See. The monk, who completed part of his PhD in the ethics of human enhancement technologies at Georgetown University in the US, briefs the 85-year-old Pope and senior counsellors on the potential applications of AI, which he describes as a general-purpose technology “like steel or electrical power”, and how it will change the way in which we all live.