Automotive Wireless Relay

Sonogas

Joined Apr 29, 2021
Hi! I am trying to wire 2 led lights in the grill of my car, but I rather not go through the firewall to my controller on my dash. I was thinking that I could do a wirelessly controlled relay. Apply 5v from my controller to a transmitter which connects to a receiver that trips at 5v and closes the 12v relay. I cannot find for the life of me a good solution for this that does not use a keychain or another remote. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
These work well, but two things: I can't tell you how well to expect it to work in the automotive environment, and the antenna is critical and must be fairly well matched. In this case, that mean mounting the supplied antenna very close to the ANT pad on the transmitter with minimal stray inductance.

The receiver can be configured for latching, and other modes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YMYWFN4/

Last edited:

Dekzion

Joined Feb 9, 2021
A few years ago I wanted to have some great spotlights on the front of my Peugeot that only came on with main beam but also able to have them disconnected from main beam for normal operation of lights. the solution was I purchased a transmitter setup online, the transmitter was a cig lighter plug with a switch on it which fired a relay in the engine bay which connected the main beam wire to the spots. Still got the plug/switch but can't find the relay, always the way huh?

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
There are plenty of small, cheap transmitter/receiver modules available.
I often use modules from RF Solutions in the 433-MHz band.
They have several inputs and outputs and in their bare form will work with push buttons or whatever you like.
They might need a decoder/encoder chip, but these are easy to use and cheap (they are actually Microchip MCUs)
If you don't use some coding, the next door neighbour might start flashing your lights

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Your link post #2 gives in UK at least
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YMYWFN4/

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
I used the UK site to make sure it was stocked but maybe Amazon is too smart and just looks at my address to decide if they can ship it. I can get them tomorrow. But there are many others exactly like it. I'd be surprised if at least on version isn't available in the UK.

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
I used the UK site to make sure it was stocked but maybe Amazon is too smart and just looks at my address to decide if they can ship it. I can get them tomorrow. But there are many others exactly like it. I'd be surprised if at least on version isn't available in the UK.
I'm not finding it available whatever country I put in.
But as you say, there are plenty of alternatives.
Yes, Amazon is too clever by half.
I just tried to log in then they message me to say someone was trying to log into my account - Allow or Deny?
Irritating