Autoclicking Mouse (physical)

ASF84

Joined Apr 27, 2022
Hello guys,

I need some help, I'm trying to build an autoclicker mouse, so that if I turn on a switch it starts auto clicking every 4 seconds, and when I turn the switch off it returns to be a regular mouse.

Could be made by fixing the mouse or adding an external switch in a box.

It has to be physical, it can't be coded.

I don't really have an idea on how to achieve this. I've seen videos, but most of the mouses are made for gaming and they click too fast.

I've seen 2 ways (pictures attached), but both cases click too fast, maybe I could add a variable resistor to control the speed.
1651112313410.png

1651112392221.png

If anyone could guide me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ASF84

Joined Apr 27, 2022
Hello,

Thank you!

The reason is that I'm trying to make a mouse that would refresh a work page that does not refresh automatically, so I have to do it manually, and I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome, haha.

And it can't be coded because it's for a work computer, so the office will not allow it.

Thanks a lot I'll take a look at the Datasheet and the Catalog you provided.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Understand the resistor/capacitor timing relationship as explained in the 555 Product Data File. The 555s are the most popular chip ever made and has several variants. The old standby NE555 is a good place to start.

ASF84

Joined Apr 27, 2022
Ok. Thanks.

Seems that according to the calculator I should use the resistance more or less like this:

1651114825128.png

And hopefully I could get it to click every more or less 4 seconds.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You're headed in the right direction. Take a look here. 555appnote.pdf (caltech.edu)

I think what you are looking for is a short duration pulse every 4 seconds and not a pulse ON 2 seconds and OFF 2 seconds ad infinitum. Which I believe can be done with 2 555 timers, one feeding the other. I don't have that circuit handy but I'm sure others will be glad to help you with it.

ASF84

Joined Apr 27, 2022
Thank you.

In the calculator Time High means the pulse is ON and Time low the time is OFF or is it the other way around?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
With the dual timer scenario the first astable timer clocks on every x seconds and that is used to trigger the second monostable timer to generate a short pulse. So that you are getting a short pulse out every X seconds. For the X seconds you can use a potentiometer to vary the time base.

EDIT: you can use 2 555 timers or a dual 556 timer chip.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Does it have to be four seconds? I'd think if all you're doing is refreshing a page then, depending on what you're watching for, 10 seconds, or even every minute.

When watching a page on the web, if I want to refresh the page I hit "COMMAND + R" (Apple product). Windows, I think, is "CONTROL + R".

The reason why I ask about the four seconds thing is because there are times when a web page takes longer than four seconds to load. If you're watching the bidding on Ebay - I could understand refresh rates as high as four seconds, but I can't think of any other circumstances where that would be necessary. And I've never worked in a manufacturing shop where I needed to watch a web page that closely. In fact, most places discouraged web browsing unless you were looking up some data sheet or information on a component.

In one shop where the computers were automatically set to go into rest mode every 5 minutes it got to be a pain having to wiggle the mouse just to wake the page or keep it awake. (not "Woke") I did that by taking an old alarm clock and removing the second hand and replacing it with a disk with black and white lines. Setting the optical mouse on the face kept the computer awake without having to wiggle the mouse every 4 1/2 minutes.

What'cha doin? Why refresh every four seconds?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
<F5> also refreshes a page in a Windows browser. There are macro programs out there that can be used to execute said action exactly the way you want. No need for mechanical interfaces, solenoids, especial circuitry, etc...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Maybe he wants to see if his AAC thread has a new reply.

I know many websites have automatic refresh. AAC does not. You have to apply for notification.

ASF84

Joined Apr 27, 2022
Hi all,

To answer your questions:

It doesn't need to be refreshed every 4 seconds exactly but around that time, a 3-6 seconds more or less.

It is not a browser, so any shortcuts won't work.

Coding it's not an option, but peripherals can be modified at will.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi all,

It doesn't need to be refreshed every 4 seconds exactly but around that time, a 3-6 seconds more or less.

I suggest you have a look at this app, it might come in handy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The Teensy LC development board can emulate USB HID (Human Interface Device) profiles including a mouse. With a small program you could make the mouse do whatever you want including positioning (relative and absolute), scroll wheel, and buttons.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Put the mouse in a cradle and mount a 15 RPM gear motor above the button witn an eccentric cam that presses the button once on each revolution.

Bob

ASF84

Joined Apr 27, 2022
The Teensy LC development board can emulate USB HID (Human Interface Device) profiles including a mouse. With a small program you could make the mouse do whatever you want including positioning (relative and absolute), scroll wheel, and buttons.
This sounds really interesting.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Hi all,

Interesting how they will allow a mechanical device to be rigged up (fire hazard etc.?) but not a simple one paragraph script from a lightweight macro such as AutoIt to be installed..