Audio broadcast console meter bulbs

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
IMG_1160.JPG Another project I've had for some time...
Several problems with this board I think. For some reason the feeds to the meters have been desoldered, and there were no bulbs above the meters. I thought there was an issue in the power supply section, but since no meters functioning, it may be ok...
The Service Manual calls for two 28volt, 0.05 amperes, No. 1828. I've found some under that number that show to be 37-38 volts. I don't know yet what the actual measurement is feeding these two sockets, but I'd like to try and make stuff like this use more commonly available bulbs for autos at 12 volts. Could I drop the feed down enough to put 12 volt bulbs in? Or would it cause too much heat?

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Your post is confusing. You want help replacing bulbs for non functioning meters?
Found out little bit ago power is OK-- at least I'm getting 32 volts at lamp sockets.
As far as I know, I would think the meters would work, but for some reason the wires connecting them were unsoldered from their posts, and left hanging loose. In next few days I hope to run a signal through it and see if it's routing OK...I bought it couple years ago; supposedly was pulled from a working station. Just now getting around to checking it out...

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Thanks for the leads. That would be the easiest way to go haha, but sometimes I just have to do things the hard way, only to tell myself later "you should have left well enough alone!" Haha...
It just seems like it would be so much faster and easier that if 12 volt bulbs were used, when one goes out, just run down street a couple blocks to auto parts store, and back in business. But of course I could order a few and have on hand at house when one goes out...

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It just seems like it would be so much faster and easier that if 12 volt bulbs were used, when one goes out, just run down street a couple blocks to auto parts store, and back in business.
But if you use LEDs instead, with appropriate dropper resistors, they are unlikely to go out in your lifetime (if the console is used intermittently) :D.