audio amplifier

afterlaughter

Joined Jul 6, 2020
how to create a 2 stage audio amplifier using LTspice? We made one with other simulators but we have a hard time doing it in LTSpice because there is no speaker symbol/component.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A speaker can be modeled as a perfect resistor in series with a perfect inductor. In the "other simulators", open the properties/attributes for the speaker component and get the internal component values.

ak

afterlaughter

Joined Jul 6, 2020
Hi! Do you have any examples of schematic diagram of a two stage audio amplifier from LTSpice? We are having a hard time doing it there compared to other simulators.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
If you want to start with a single stage then add a second stage. You could follow this tutorial.
If purchasing the board I think the PCB with tone control would be an improvement.
I designed this circuit it shows no distortion but it's a simulation.
I felt the audio enthusiast would be more happy using this popular and inexpensive op amp for sound.
I encourage LTSPICE improvements to this circuit using the op amp .model NE5532A

NE5532A 2nd stage.JPG
Video on getting started with Ltspice for building an op amp audio amplifier.

Last edited:

afterlaughter

Joined Jul 6, 2020
I was asked to determine its characteristics from simulations. What do they mean by that? Does it mean DC Operating condition, voltage gain, etc? (Sorry if i sound too dumb lol)

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A simulation is not REAL. Some things are assumed like using a small low current transistor in a very high current circuit when it works fine in a simulation but the transistor burns up in a REAL circuit.
The hFE of a transistor in a simulation is usually the "typical" number but in a REAL circuit the hFE could be minimum or maximum which will cause some circuits to fail when designed according to the simulation.