audio amplifier (bass amp)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The video must reside somewhere.... like youtube. then it's a simple process to click on the film and paste the youtube address.

just like this ....

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If you sync your oscilloscope with LINE, and that trace becomes stable, time wise, ... it's a derivative of the line frequency. If it's time changing, the source is something else.

You had the scope triggered internally when you made that measurement.

hoop

Joined Nov 17, 2016
If you sync your oscilloscope with LINE, and that trace becomes stable ... it's a derivative of the line frequency. If it's time changing, the source is something else.
It changes time . and only will trigger to channel 1 Ac coupled

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
What I am saying about using the LINE trigger is that any stable signal is a derivative of the line frequency. That would point you to anything derived from the AC line.

This also brings up a point, you could trigger channel 2, with the scope connected to the input signal. Then, you can see if it's a derivative of the input signal.

I'm thinking your chasing down some other type of noise or oscillation.

Do you remember the V/cm you set?

You set that video to private. You'll have to make it public.

I'm thinking you might put a plug into the Power Amp In and then measure the output of the power amp to see if the oscillations or noise is present there.

Last edited:

hoop

Joined Nov 17, 2016
What I am saying about using the LINE trigger is that any stable signal is a derivative of the line frequency. That would point you to anything derived from the AC line.

This also brings up a point, you could trigger channel 2, with the scope connected to the input signal. Then, you can see if it's a derivative of the input signal.

OK will do

hoop

Joined Nov 17, 2016

I'm thinking you might put a plug into the Power Amp In and then measure the output of the power amp to see if the oscillations or noise is present there.

hoop

Joined Nov 17, 2016
Scope first video is set to 100mv per division. Freq is 1 kHz between brackets so its many cycles vs. my input

hoop

Joined Nov 17, 2016
Well, we know it wasn't a derivitive of the 120 Hz square wave.

Where was the TDS scope measuring and where was the other TEK scope measuring?

We are looking for about an 11 kHz signal according to these photos I extracted.

11764 kHz according to the TEK scope
Exactly where is that turd coming from its in everything
OK first wave TDS 2002 yellow is output across the load (8ohm)
2nd is believe it or not plugged into nixie tube counter and the hp- generator which is off !
(Thats why i switched to my handheld)
The 2465a wave is also 11khz distortion,
at the power amp input jack.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Does it ever disappear? I mean other than by turning down the volume control.

If it originated in the intermediate power amp or the power amp, a signal from the oscillator plugged into the Power Amp In jack, it should still be present as you manipulate the audio oscillator level. If it doesn't, I would suspect it's before the injection point.

on Edit ...

As I work through the schematic, I found this while searching for spice models:

Check out T18 and T19. The schematic has them as SJ79 and SK216 respectively.

SJ79 doesn't exist and SK216 is a Zener diode.

Last edited:

hoop

Joined Nov 17, 2016
Yeah noise stays regardless of volume or input signal present Ive been looking for shorts to ground this morning then i had to put it aside and do other work. I'm swamped Pwr. Trans get hot quickly; I can't leave in that state(power on volume and gain up 25%) for long amp has heat protection. Those(T18/19) are on my radar ,Ive checked most transistors and diodes those are attached to heat sinks and I have to remove them to check. I'm waiting on my new/used pace machine I scored on eBay old one took a crap I've been using solder wick for 3 weeks now its ok for some things but crappy for thru hole with eyelets on both sides I got one too hot when I was removing q3 triac to check / replace it and lifted the eyelet.
More work I've incurred on this unit. Took 3m school when i was in navy thank god.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Very nice.

I did the Power Amp side and still need to work on the IPA side of the simulation. I've also got the startup in the fire. I hope to have the whole thing done soon. One thing about the software I use is the ability to take a chunk of circuits like those sections and create a working "block" diagram.

If you feel like doing another task, measure the AC voltages out of the torroid at the inputs to the diodes. Most designs don't have more than a couple of volts higher than the 78xx/79xx regulators. Of course, the final power amplifiers could be as high as 120 VAC ... or 230 if your in Europe. So far, I saw +/-5V, +/- 15V, and +/- unknown (up to 170V based on 120V line).

I hope you track this oscillation down sooner rather than later. Take good pictures.