Audio A/B; A+B switch help

Lunakyra

Joined Feb 26, 2017
The jacks you show have both hot and common (or plus and minus), which would require only one connector per speaker.
If you use banana jacks then yes, you do need two connectors per speaker.
Sorry about that. I assumed that the tip was a hot or common and the other connection which I guess is the jacket was a ground. I'm still trying to figure out what all the symbols on the schematics mean.

Lunakyra

Joined Feb 26, 2017
Thanks for your response. The schematic was a little sloppy. I do wonder what you consider "expensive"? I don't know where you are but in the USA you can get the requisite switch for about $15 or less.

The trick is in knowing what 6P3T means. Poles are how many unique circuits can be switched. The left speakers require three poles and the same for the right speakers. Hence six poles.

Just considering the right speakers. one pole connects the amplifier to Room A, one pole connects to Room B and the third pole wire the speakers in series so both rooms play. The circuit is the same for the same reason for the left speakers.

You need three throws because you want the switch to do three different things. Play in Room A, play in Room B or play in both rooms. Three options; three throws.

I can try and clean up the schematic if you are interested. One switch will do it all.

Addendum: you may have to add some resistors to balance out the sound levels.
After you clearing it up a bit and me taking another serious look at what you drew up I understand how it works now. No, the 15 dollars for a 6P3T switch is not bad at all but I already bought several DPST in haste and would rather just get my moneys worth. As far as the sound levels go. Are you saying if one speaker is noticeably louder I should throw in an appropriate resistor to bring it down to the level of the others?

Lastly im pretty sure I am good as far as what I have drawn up now. From what I have gotten from the people who have all been apart of this conversation I think I changed everything I needed to and most likely am no going to blow my amp. Am I right? I know there was some confusion as far as the connectors being mono vs stereo but does it all seem correct in post #11?