Attempting to keep current constant in a High Current DC supply circuit with variable voltage.

mrkek1232

Joined Feb 9, 2018
I don't think you really understand Ohm's Law. Voltage, current and resistance (load in this case) are related by the formula I = E/R, or variants E = IR and R = E/I.

If you have a power source with a fixed output voltage of 12 volts, then it will supply 1 amp only when it is loaded with 12 ohms. If it is loaded with 24 ohms, it will supply 0.5 amps. If it is loaded with 6 ohms, it will supply 2 amps.

If you have a power source with a fixed output current of 1 amp, then it will produce and output voltage of 12 volts when driving a 12 ohm load. When driving a 6 ohm load, it will output 6 volts, and when driving a 24 ohm load will develop 24 volts.

You can't have both at the same time. However, you can have a power supply that crosses over between constant voltage and constant current at set points. See AnalogKid's post #12.
Yea I get that but its my first circuit. I was thinking with regulators or chips, etc that something like that'd be possible.