Attaching an E L Wire to a switch, what do I need to do please (basic schematic attached)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@djsfantasi does this video answer any questions?

Both strips say they are 120D - DC12V. No mention of watts my power supply is 300V though.

Have checked white strip directly to power and it is not flashing.
Interesting...

Yes, it could. But a few questions. Are you powering the white rope with the same power supply? Have you had both lights on together and if so, does the white light NOT blink, but the red one does?

Did you get the power supply that @Bernard suggested in post #49? If so, the numbers do not add up for me.

The power supply is 12V and 5A. Or 60W. The red LED rope requires 12V and 0.8A. Or 9.6W. It shouldn’t overload the power supply. My next question would be if there’s anything else connected to the power supply, but you tested the rope by itself.

Let me think on this. Maybe @Bernard has an idea?

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Interesting...

Yes, it could. But a few questions. Are you powering the white rope with the same power supply? Have you had both lights on together and if so, does the white light NOT blink, but the red one does?

Did you get the power supply that @Bernard suggested in post #49? If so, the numbers do not add up for me.

The power supply is 12V and 5A. Or 60W. The red LED rope requires 12V and 0.8A. Or 9.6W. It shouldn’t overload the power supply. My next question would be if there’s anything else connected to the power supply, but you tested the rope by itself.

Let me think on this. Maybe @Bernard has an idea?
Got the power supply but am using the LEDberg.

Yes using the same supply and no the white light didn't flash but yes the red does. How would I hook the supply Bernard suggested to the schematic? That's why I used the LEDberg as it was easier to strip the wires and add to the chockblock.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Lili, measure the voltage of the LED berg thing, it might be 24V & LED strips are rated for 12V.
It is 24v but I'm not sure if that's per arm (it has 4 arms) I have a multimeter but surprise, surprise I don't know how to use it. How do I measure the volts? Not sure what you mean about the red and black leads. If the ledberg is too many volts could I use a resistor? Where would I put it?

Thanks as always

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
@djsfantasi and @Bernard

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Even my son was impressed with me hahaha! I hooked up the LED to a lead converter and then to a 12V supply, light is completely stable. So now here are my questions please:

How do I use the supply you suggested to power the lights? Edit: Or should I use some kind of resistor on the Ledberg, might be a better solution as then I'm only using one power source.

Which numbers am I using for Rotary switch so I can get the white light working? Those two things will get this all working :)

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@djsfantasi and @Bernard

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Even my son was impressed with me hahaha! I hooked up the LED to a lead converter and then to a 12V supply, light is completely stable. So now here are my questions please:

How do I use the supply you suggested to power the lights? Edit: Or should I use some kind of resistor on the Ledberg, might be a better solution as then I'm only using one power source.

Which numbers am I using for Rotary switch so I can get the white light working? Those two things will get this all working :)
Lilli,

A resistor on the Ledberg power unit is not practical. It would have to be rated for more than 10W, would be inefficient and expensive.

A 24V to 12V converter, like the one in this link would be better. You hook up the red and black wires to the in side, and on the out side connect black to black and yellow to red on the LED strip.

89547A68-83AF-4476-9CB0-445F1C05492E.jpeg

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Lilli,

A resistor on the Ledberg power unit is not practical. It would have to be rated for more than 10W, would be inefficient and expensive.

A 24V to 12V converter, like the one in this link would be better. You hook up the red and black wires to the in side, and on the out side connect black to black and yellow to red on the LED strip.

View attachment 217591
Thank you! Aaah! A converter okay, knew there must be a bit of kit but would have still called this a resistor. Learning! :)
Would I need to get one for the white one too? Just because it's not flashing it's possible I'm doing damage by overloading it. So I would hook up the red and black into the strip if so it all makes sense! :) Will order once I hear from you.

PS have I missed Bernard's reply regarding the rotary switch? Sorry if I'm making people repeat themselves.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Lili, on P5 #100, picture, below LED strings are 2 adapters, black boot with green end; are they male or female, or do they fit 12V power supply socket ?

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Lili, on P5 #100, picture, below LED strings are 2 adapters, black boot with green end; are they male or female, or do they fit 12V power supply socket ?
Yes they do but if I use those for the oven, how would I join them to the Pot and rotary switch? I am using those black/green converters for the sink.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thank you! Aaah! A converter okay, knew there must be a bit of kit but would have still called this a resistor. Learning! :)
Would I need to get one for the white one too? Just because it's not flashing it's possible I'm doing damage by overloading it. So I would hook up the red and black into the strip if so it all makes sense! :) Will order once I hear from you.

PS have I missed Bernard's reply regarding the rotary switch? Sorry if I'm making people repeat themselves.
If the white one is also an LED strip rated for 12V, it should also have a converter. But, if you wire the red wires from both strips to the yellow wire and the black wires from both strips to the black wire, one converter will work.

The catch is that you are dimming the red strip with the pot and transistor. So instead of running the yellow wire to the red strip, it should go to the pot... where the red wire of the Ledberg goes now.

I’ll try to sketch it, but won’t be able to do so right away. If you put the converter between the Ledberg and it’s connections (to the terminal block?) it should work.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
If the white one is also an LED strip rated for 12V, it should also have a converter. But, if you wire the red wires from both strips to the yellow wire and the black wires from both strips to the black wire, one converter will work.

The catch is that you are dimming the red strip with the pot and transistor. So instead of running the yellow wire to the red strip, it should go to the pot... where the red wire of the Ledberg goes now.

I’ll try to sketch it, but won’t be able to do so right away. If you put the converter between the Ledberg and it’s connections (to the terminal block?) it should work.
No worries, I will get the converter and then try to follow your instructions, it won't arrive until Monday anyway. Appreciate your help. :)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Lili, have you corrected the SW wiring errors? Is pin 7 at the top or bottom of the board?
Might rotate HS so that pins stay on the board.