Attaching an E L Wire to a switch, what do I need to do please (basic schematic attached)

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am on the second to last part of my kitchen project. Now all I need to do is attach an E L Wire to make the oven "work" I would like one switch to turn on an LED light and when that light is on then a second switch would turn on the E L Wire (like a "real" oven). I attach a sort of schematic not that I am sure it's helpful (I've never drawn one before). I wanted to know what I needed so far I intend to power it via this Ikea Led controller, I am using this to power other parts of the kitchen. The controller is capable of delivering a maximum of 24V but I don't know if that is evenly distributed as 6V each out of each arm (check the diagram on the link).

I am using two rotary switches (oven dials), my concern is arcing/blowing the circuit. I don't know if I need to use resistors and if so how. I would really appreciate some guidance, I can give more details if necessary. I am not electronically trained, just teaching myself a few things for this project, I've got other bits done but a bit stuck now.

Appreciate all help and thank you in advance.

The white circle is the LED oven light and the orange circle is the E L Wire.

Oven switch schematic.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Spark Fun , 3V inverter = US $ 9.95; 3V battery pack/ inverter =. $ 4.95; 12V inverter = $14.95.
Also need plug for E L wire. 'Also have red E L wire.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Thank you Bernard, I have also seen these kits. Would I be able to wire this to a mains switch or do I need to keep it separate? How also could I get it to work with a rotary dial switch? What would I need to do? Appreciate the links and information.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Your old post does not seem to come up but from fading memory you settled on a all 12V system
with a sealed lead acid battery backup ?? I've enclosed a simple sketch based on 12V supply.
If using the kit and stuck with battery pack, it could be hacked to use a 3V input driven by a buck converter, 12V > 3 V. A 4 turn spiral "heater" might need about 150 cm of EL wire?Scan.jpg

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Hi Bernard thank you so much I THINK I get your diagram, 12 V input, first switch to light, then second switch to the inverter and wire. Can I ask what does the 20MA mean (I know it's 20 milliamps what does it refer to) and the 3V with the down triangles? I am in Germany but I'll be buying the bits you're suggesting, if you have the time and inclination a "shopping" list would be ACE. I was looking at Rotary Dials but wasn't even sure where to start. I was going to get those D switches and then oven dials to go over them.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The 20 mA is LED current; oven light. You may already have a oven light in mind.
I cannot relocate the add by colorperk ( 7627 ). What electronic supply co are available to you?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I found no useful data on the IKEA lighting- distribution system.
The 12 V inverter might be too over rated for a short length of EL wire & we do not know what
supply V is available.
Do rotary switches provide a function other than ON-OFF ?

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Oh sorry. I can tell you that the Ledberg supplies 24 over 4 arms so I think that's 6V each but I'm not sure if that's equal or if you can get a total of 24V like say 12V one arm, 3V over 2 arms and 6V on another.

No the Rotary switches just turn on and off, like oven dials. I have discussed this before, I wanted the EL Wire to dim but it's seriously too much work so I now just want it to turn like an oven dial. I think I need a potentiometer because I want it to be a smooth turn, the Oven light could be a rotary on off switch.

Appreciate all your help Bernard.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
My wild guess is that the 4 arm Ledberg supplies 24V to each arm, just all in parallel ??
I think that you need a new helper, I'm all out of ideas.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Hi Bernard, I think I may have had a breakthrough with this! Scooching around Adafruit as you suggested I found this and I think it will do what I need it to do. Seems pretty simple to use. I could power it with a battery pack and add a rotary dial. Then all I'd need to do is add the other LED light separately with the rotary switch, they can work indpendently, it might be easier. What do you think? I've asked them what potentiometer they could recommend if any but if you have any clues I'd love to hear from you.

I was trying to use the Ledberg to power the kitchen as I am using it on other parts but it doesn't matter I don't HAVE to use it. As you can see I am feeling my way along with this.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi Bernard, I think I may have had a breakthrough with this! Scooching around Adafruit as you suggested I found this and I think it will do what I need it to do. Seems pretty simple to use. I could power it with a battery pack and add a rotary dial. Then all I'd need to do is add the other LED light separately with the rotary switch, they can work indpendently, it might be easier. What do you think? I've asked them what potentiometer they could recommend if any but if you have any clues I'd love to hear from you.

I was trying to use the Ledberg to power the kitchen as I am using it on other parts but it doesn't matter I don't HAVE to use it. As you can see I am feeling my way along with this.
Going way back in this thread, it was suggested that you use a PWM module to dim the LED strip. And since you have a 24V source, you can use a 24 to 12V DC to DC module to power the strip.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Going way back in this thread, it was suggested that you use a PWM module to dim the LED strip. And since you have a 24V source, you can use a 24 to 12V DC to DC module to power the strip.
Yes I remember you said that when I originally started compiling thoughts to do this. The problem is I just don't have the know-how, skills or time to learn even what you're suggesting here is above my paygrade. I am trying to find a "connect and go" solution, Benard earlier suggested the Adafruit site so I went on there and found some neon wire that seems to dim and I think I could power with a battery (safer?) and also add a potentiometer to it. I am thinking that with my limited skills and understanding that might be the way forward here. I appreciate everyone is trying to help but unfortunately my knowledge in this area is so limited that without glove puppets and cartoons hardly any of it makes sense and I don't want to frustrate people by asking them to explain what is probably quite obvious.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes I remember you said that when I originally started compiling thoughts to do this. The problem is I just don't have the know-how, skills or time to learn even what you're suggesting here is above my paygrade. I am trying to find a "connect and go" solution, Benard earlier suggested the Adafruit site so I went on there and found some neon wire that seems to dim and I think I could power with a battery (safer?) and also add a potentiometer to it. I am thinking that with my limited skills and understanding that might be the way forward here. I appreciate everyone is trying to help but unfortunately my knowledge in this area is so limited that without glove puppets and cartoons hardly any of it makes sense and I don't want to frustrate people by asking them to explain what is probably quite obvious.
See, adding a potentiometer isn’t going to dim the strip like you want to. If you can’t do it any other way, you might have to just turn it on and off.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
See, adding a potentiometer isn’t going to dim the strip like you want to. If you can’t do it any other way, you might have to just turn it on and off.
Yeah that's fine, I had abandoned the dimming idea the last time you discussed it with me, I am very happy for it to just go on and off, the fact it lights up is fun enough. The wire I mentioned does have some kind of dimming capacity, it's not the same as E L Wire it's a bit different but I think it'll do the job.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What a find, & is dimmable with a pot or better a pot & transistor. I just made a quick look with 33 cm of white cord; dim
with 10K, bright with 0. 12 V supply. A PWM module might be available.

TogetherInElectricDreams

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Right, I think I get this: Pot = potentiometer, I know what a transistor is but wouldn't know why I'd need it or where. Don't know what a PWM is but I know what it's for, would it be easy to set up? Would I be able to run it off the mains or is battery better (they sell those)?
Bernard could I ask, with the Ledberg thing, when I buy it is it wise to use my multimeter to find out what voltage is coming off each of the arms?