Atmospheric Ion Collector Tower AC/DC Voltage Questions

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
you amplify by taking a small signal. 10 microvolts.
use the small signal to operate a valve/transistor which controls a larger power. A 9 volt battery.

every increase and decrease in the small signal is now repeated by the transistor which controls the flow of current from the 9 volt battery.

the signal is still a tiny 10 microvolts, but, thanks to power inside the 9 volt battery there is another larger signal just like the small one.

What do you suppose happens to your amplified power when the battery is exhausted?

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
Okay, got it. But how is this connected in a circuit. What goes to the Base, collector and emitter?
As for your question, my first thought is the amplified power is diminished. But once the battery is exhausted wouldn't the amplified power need somewhere to go?
Or am I completely wrong on that one.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
the amplified POWER comes from the battery. the original signal is just a pattern you want to reproduce at a higher power. Nothing is changed in the original signal.
if you take a tiny drawing and put it in a copy machine and select 'enlarge', what happens? does the tiny original change any?

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
Okay, I understand it now. I have my components here, 9v battery, NpN transistor, and tower voltage wires. What do I connect the battery to on the transistor? And what do I connect my tower wires to?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Say you took the voltage from your tower, and fed it into an amplifier, getting a larger voltage out. Anything connected to your output voltage would be drawing power from the battery. Plus the transistor and resistors would be wasting some of the power from the battery.

So here is a brilliant idea for how to get more power out of the battery: Eliminate the tower and the amplifier!

Bob

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
So essentially, from what I have read. I could use the small 1.2 volt DC from my tower to control the current of a larger supply? say 12 volts.

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
That's what I'm thinking here. Why do that? Couldn't you just use parallel resistors to control a current?

But what about all the countless web pages and instructables I have seen on increasing a voltage?
I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I'm not sure this is legal. The U.S. government has determined that the radio airways are public domain. Many think the FCC only regulates transmitters. But this is not true. They also regulate receiving equipment and it has to be certified. Especially for commercial use and personal gain.
Energy harvesting. Wouldn't this be like drilling a oil well without the appropriate environmental studies and state royalties?
I'm just saying.

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
No I don't think I have anything to worry about because the tower I have made is maybe 14ft. And I'm only getting like 3-80 milivolts DC and .5 volts AC and with a rectifier like 1.6 DC volts. It is only for experimental purposes. I seen some cool stuff on youtube and wanted to try it for fun in an aid to my learning of electricity. I'm not actually trying to power my house/generator/ or anything for that matter, nothing like that. Purely for fun.

But you did state for personal gain. It is helping me in my education. Some might consider that a gain, which in context it is I suppose. I don't know if you can compare it something like oil drilling because I'm not even generating enough energy to light a 1.5 volt LED. And I have had this thing up for quite some time and so far so good. But at the same time, If I am doing something illegal I will definitely stop right now.

I am not saying you are wrong at all though

By the way how can I upload photo's into my album? I have pictures of the tower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
Okay so that was correct, and the whole point of all of this is how do I do that exactly? By how, I mean what do connect to the transistor or the components used? I don't know how to build a circuit to do this. The inputs/outputs and what goes to the base. collector, emitter ect. Would anyone care to help me out here? I've been trying to do it myself which is what led me to creating a profile on this site lol.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think I am understanding this wrong, tell me if I am.
You've got a lot right, but your pictures are misleading. The transistor alone cannot amplify anything. It needs a power source. Think of it as like a dimmer switch for a lamp; a small amount of work (current, in the base-emitter circuit) can control a much larger amount of power (the current in the collector-emitter circuit). The transistor can switch that larger current loop fully on or off like a light switch, or it can control a collector-emitter current that is proportional to the much smaller base-emitter current.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You've got a lot right, but your pictures are misleading. The transistor alone cannot amplify anything. It needs a power source. Think of it as like a dimmer switch for a lamp; a small amount of work (current, in the base-emitter circuit) can control a much larger amount of power (the current in the collector-emitter circuit). The transistor can switch that larger current loop fully on or off like a light switch, or it can control a collector-emitter current that is proportional to the much smaller base-emitter current.
He understands. Just tell him where to connect the base, emitter, and collector.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Before we design a circuit, let's talk about the goal. What will the amplified signal be used for? In electronics lingo, what's the load? There are a lot of things you could do with the signal, like analyze it for frequency spectrum, just measure the voltage versus time, or voltage into a load (i.e., power) against time, flash an LED in synch with it, or many other things I suppose. The amplifier design depends on what you want.

Hideo_Xx

Joined Oct 26, 2014
Okay, thank you Wayneh for wanting to help. As for the load, all I would like to is light up a simple LED. It needs 1.5 volts. I have 1.6 AC from my tower. But when I rectify to DC, there is a voltage drop. I get 1.2 DC. I am almost there....
Is there a way to reduce the voltage needed by a component? (I ask this as just a side note)