AT commands not responding on ESP8266-01

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I was able to flash my ESP8266-01 with nodemcu firmware so atleast I know my chip is working. I have been trying to get some AT command answer from my ESP8266 but whatever I do it is not responding.
I have uploaded this program to arduino:

Arduino ESP
RX - TX
TX - VOLTAGE REGULATOR - RX

C:
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(2,3);

// When a command is entered in to the serial monitor on the computer
// the Arduino will relay it to the ESP8266

int LEDPIN = 13;

void setup()
{
    pinMode(LEDPIN, OUTPUT);

Serial.begin(9600);     // communication with the host computer
    //while (!Serial)   { ; }

// Start the software serial for communication with the ESP8266
    mySerial.begin(115200);

Serial.println("");
    Serial.println("Remember to to set Both NL & CR in the serial monitor.");
    Serial.println("Ready");
    Serial.println("");  
}

void loop()
{
    // listen for communication from the ESP8266 and then write it to the serial monitor
    if ( mySerial.available() )   {  Serial.write( mySerial.read() );  }

// listen for user input and send it to the ESP8266
    if ( Serial.available() )       {  mySerial.write( Serial.read() );  }
}
When I ground my ESP8266 reset pin , I get some crazy stuff at serial monitor:

upload_2019-1-21_18-26-30.png

Last edited by a moderator:

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
have done it thourgh nodemcu flasher software. It did work but yet no AT command answers. perhaps my esp8266 is broken? i have been pressing the reset and uploading sketches over and over again and now the red light of ESP8266 is permamently ON. I am not able to flash it or restart it. What are the requirements of talking to ESP8266 with AT commands? Is it not recommended to do with ARDUINO? When i send a command to arduino serial monitor, the command just dissapears after pressing enter button. I cannot even see what i have typed on the serial monitor screen.

I am not able to flash it or restart it. What are the requirements of talking to ESP8266 with AT commands?
You need to have flashed the ESP with the AT command firmware.

I was able to flash my ESP8266-01 with nodemcu firmware so atleast I know my chip is working.
You may have flashed the firmware to use LUA programming.

Why not go to one of the links that I posted (or a zillion other ones), start over and make sure you have an appropriate power supply.

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I am not even sure whether it is important for me to do the AT testing. My plan is to add the internet to my arduino project. I want to automate home appliances through the internet. I got some examples from the internet and was able to program the ESP8266 but it did not work as required. So I have decided to start from the bottom and test my esp8266 with at commands and then proceed. Do you think thats necessary? I have followed this guide:
https://electrosome.com/home-automation-arduino-esp8266/

After programming the arduino, I do not get any messages on the serial monitor

The link that you posted is using AT commands. It does not sound to me like you have flashed the AT command set on your ESP-01. You may have had it on there initially, but you don't have it now. So, you need to flash the AT command set. You can always flash it with something else afterwards (that is what you might have done with the nodemcu firmware).

When you get through some introductory steps and a little experience, you may conclude that you do not need the Arduino at all and will get something like this https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-W...ESP-12S-Chip-wp-Usa-1143874.html?rmmds=search

Still, I think that working through the problems and getting what you have working will help. That is just my opinion and I may be wrong.

Last edited:

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Thank you very much. I should get a new one delivered soon and try again. Also,would you know if it is possible to use nodemcu esp8266 dev board with zigbee? If i connect coordimator to nodemcu would i be able to control it remotely ?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
My bet is with Raymond Genovese you have flashed it with wrong firmware.

You should post a link to the firmware you flashed it with.

At one time they stopped using AT, And because of that a lot of people have had problems with AT not working.
It's easy to pick the wrong firmware.

Last edited:

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I have received my new ESP8266 devices. Before I did anything to them , I have tested some AT commands to them and I did not get response OK from command AT as expected. I did get some random text though. Then I have decided to use this tutorial:
https://cityos.io/tutorial/2010/How-to-put-AT-firmware-ON-ESP8266
I was able to put some firmwave on my ESP8266
upload_2019-1-25_14-43-20.png

After I have put this firmware, I do not get any response to AT commands whatsoever! It doest respond at all.. Any advice?

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Hey. Can someone suggest an article or a website that shows how to upload an AT firmware to my ESP8266-01? Its been over a month now since I have started trying to upload an AT firmware but nothiing seems to work. I have manage to break one chip already . I have recently followed this guy - https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects/flashing-the-ESP-01-firmware-to-SDK-v2.0.0-is-easier-now/ -didint work
I have flashed a firmware using ESP flash download tool:
upload_2019-1-25_14-50-29.png

Still no AT command response

After I have put this firmware, I do not get any response to AT commands whatsoever! It doest respond at all.. Any advice?
Can you please tell us exactly how you have the ESP connected...in detail.
What is the power supply connected to the ESP - voltage and amps?
What pin on the Arduino connects to the TX on the ESP?
What pin on the Arduino connects to the RX on the ESP?
How is the chpd on the ESP connected.
edit: How is rst on ESP connected.
What baud rate are you using?

I have tested some AT commands to them and I did not get response OK from command AT as expected. I did get some random text though.
That random text might very well have meant that it was working but yo did not have the baud rate set correctly. There is a bit of text when the ESP boots that is normally seen, but if you were getting text back when sending AT commands, it may have been that the serial monitor on the Arduino was not set up correctly.

Last edited:

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015

this is how I tried initialy, after that, I have connected a seperate 3.3V 1A supply to power my ESP. I have tried different baud rates and at 115200 I got a message ERROR after I put any command. I dont have a clue what firmware I have just flashed but it does not respond at all now. It was said in the description that it is AT firmware

You are starting another thread for the same problem and that is not such a good idea.

You say here that you used one tutorial, which was linked, but in your first thread, you said that you used a different tutorial.

Thanks @bertus

@zazas321
I get it that you are frustrated, but when you are doing a bunch of things on your side and you are not being clear, it does not help you at all. I have flashed various ESP chips many times and so have many people on this board. DETAILS are very important. If we were both sitting on a workbench, we could probably get this up and running in no time, but we are not so you need to help us help you.

So, when you say that you used the tutorial here https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects/flashing-the-ESP-01-firmware-to-SDK-v2.0.0-is-easier-now/

But show a screen shot where you are using an earlier version of the flash tool, and then also say that you used another tutorial https://cityos.io/tutorial/2010/How-to-put-AT-firmware-ON-ESP8266 it becomes unclear exactly what you have done and what you are doing.

Do you have an ESP8266-01 board that you have done nothing to do?

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Okay let me start form the beggining and I will try to be as clear as possible.

I have received 2 ESP8266 chips. I have tested first chip like 30 minutes ago with putty, termite and arduino terminal. It did not seem to work so I have tried to flash a firmware that I have mentioned above. So now it got even worse. Okay nevermind, i grabbed another ESP8266 and did exactly same things that I have done with the first one. I have opened a termite, selected my COM port and typed AT - its working! I get an answer OK.
upload_2019-1-25_15-47-17.png

I have tested both, with seperate +3.3V supply and without - both ways are working
Ok great news!

I took my old esp8266 and tried with exactly same circuit to double check whether it is working or not - No response

Then I took that working ESP8266 again, the one that was working 1 minute ago, I open serial monitor again , type AT - no response. I disconnected the VCC pin of esp, connected it back again and now it is working again

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Yes, the one that is working now, I have not done anything to it - did not attempt to flash any firmware or anything else