Assembling

cameo

Joined Jul 9, 2007
Hi all.

I want to set up a small assembling unit for embedded application boards with lots of smd components like caps,res,CMOS chips,very high ESD sensitive devices etc.I am new to this side of electronics.so any help would be appreciated.
I want a suggestion on what and all steps should i take to start one.
like:-
the kind of soldering iron to be used,what are the ESD protection gears to be used,environment,handling.A complete guide to set it up.

Thanks,

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Will you be assembling multiple boards at one time, or will you do a board of one type and then do a board of another type. Automated assembly equipment is not for the casual hobbyist if that is what you had in mind.

AFAIK soldering irons are only used in rework. For assembly you want a reflow oven.

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
Hi all.
I want to set up a small assembling unit for embedded application boards with lots of smd components like caps,res,CMOS chips,very high ESD sensitive devices etc.I am new to this side of electronics.so any help would be appreciated.
I want a suggestion on what and all steps should i take to start one.
like:-
the kind of soldering iron to be used,what are the ESD protection gears to be used,environment,handling.A complete guide to set it up.
Except for BGAs, components without leads (DFN, QFN) and
very fine pitch components SMD assembly can be performed with a fine tip
iron, thin wire solder, a flux pen and a magnifier. BGAs, components without leads and
parts with heatsink pads can be soldered in a toaster oven or on a hotplate.

I am doing SMD assembly with an soldering iron. Within the next few months
I should have a hotplate going (I need to start soldering DFN and QFN parts).

I have placed pictures and part numbers for the tools that I use at
http://www.luciani.org/getting-it-done/smd-hints/smd-hints-index.html

(* jcl *)

cameo

Joined Jul 9, 2007
that was great and helpful.thanks
By the way, what do you suggest is the best way to handle ESD sensitive devices.I have lot of TSSOP,TQFP and other ESD chips to be assembled.
Do you have any suggestion.As of now i havent taken any precuation for that.Or do they really matter in prototyping stage.

Regards,

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
that was great and helpful.thanks
By the way, what do you suggest is the best way to handle ESD sensitive devices.I have lot of TSSOP,TQFP and other ESD chips to be assembled.
Do you have any suggestion.As of now i havent taken any precuation for that.Or do they really matter in prototyping stage.
For ESD I keep the components in the ESD protective bags or metal cans.
While assembling use a wrist strap (3M 2214 or eq) and an ESD protective
mat on your work surface (ACL Staticide 8085BM2460 or eq).

(* jcl *)