Are we still doing big resistors?

cjmaverickforever

Joined Nov 13, 2018
https://i.imgur.com/g2lgI9K.jpg

This is a big bank of resistors we used for testing amplifiers. It's supposed to be able to handle 10,000 Wrms at 2 ohms, but I think it might actually be more. I want to say each half is 4 ohms. I just noticed it has ohms written on top, so it's 2 ohms on each bank. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's 10kW per side or not.

It also doubles as a space heater in the winter.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They still make the big resistors to make high power loads.
I've got a 6KW load for testing 5KW beam analyzer magnet power supplies and a 4KW high voltage resistor string for testing beam extraction power supplies up to 100KV.

HV load.
2016-04-27_10-43-33.jpg

cjmaverickforever

Joined Nov 13, 2018
They still make the big resistors to make high power loads.
I've got a 6KW load for testing 5KW beam analyzer magnet power supplies and a 4KW high voltage resistor string for testing beam extraction power supplies up to 100KV.

HV load.
View attachment 163823
yup i agree!!

Moderators note : removed commercial links, show them again and a ban will be the result

Last edited by a moderator:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
In my training, there was a very large battery test going on. The load was stainless steel tubing with water flowing through it.
Also, at Radio Australia, a terminating resistor for a rhombic antenna was just 4 wire transmission line made out if steel fencing wire instead of copper. So it is pretty easy to make a large power resistor if you want instead of buying one.