Are there any circumstances in which it is okay to lean a ladder against power lines?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Driving around during my lunch break yesterday, I saw a guy on a ladder with the ladder up against power lines. I did a double take and went down the road, turn around and came back to take a picture of him, but he had already climbed down. You can see the ladder in my pictures still clearly against the power lines.

I felt tempted to pull in there and ask that guy what the hell he was thinking, but then I question myself. It looked like his ladder had some kind of attachment to clip onto the power line, and I wasn't sure if maybe he knows something that I don't know, and that's a special ladder which is approved for this use.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
"In the heat of summer, with the heat rising off the road, the telephone poles gradually materialise out of this far, distant perspective and rush towards you.
"And then, as it happened, I suddenly looked up at one of these telephone poles and there was a man on top, talking on a telephone.
"He was gone very quickly, and I had another 25 miles of solitude to meditate on this apparition. It was a splendidly vivid, cinematic image that I lifted out of my deep memory while I was writing this song."
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40861326

Image00001.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I see it all the time and I agree with the Telephone and CATV thinking. Here is an example:
Ballons in Power Line.png

The very top 3 phase is a 50 KV line which runs to an industrial area up the street. Actually goes underground and under an Interstate. The lower three phase line is 7 KV and feeds the residential transformers. The 7 KV line is the one with the balloons stuck in it, which a few days later got ugly. Below that is the 240 Volt residential line and on the lowest tier are the telephone and CATV lines with a steel suspension wire and this is where service technicians rest ladders all the time. All of those are below the street light level.

Ron

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This was a stupid question. I should have studied my own pictures harder and I would have realized they weren't power lines. Thanks for the responses

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I felt tempted to pull in there and ask that guy what the hell he was thinking, but then I question myself.
Smart move from the school of, "No good deed goes unpunished".:D
Happy you didn't get your nose punched while it was in somebody else's business.;)

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The lines the ladder were against are just communication, and internet lines. No high voltage. The HV is way at the top of the pole. I've been up on ladders that hook onto the wires. It's a little un nerving when the cable wants to swing away from the ladder and you're on something that feels entirely unstable. But it's safe.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My theory was the snow was higher and the deer walked up and tried to jump over it like a fence.

But probably more likely got hit by a train like you said.