Are Cross-wind compensation and Road crown compensation functions inputs to LKA function?

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017
Please consider Active Steering Assist Electronic Control Unit (Steering ECU) used in a commercial truck. It has Lane Keep Assist (LKA) function, Cross-wind compensation, and Road crown compensation.

This ECU is composed of a camera input, and driver outputs to control the torque overlay steering gear.

Is LKA function completely independent of above two compensation functions? For example, if this LKA function is moved to a different ECU (camera ECU) in the truck, the above two compensation functions don't need to be moved to the camera ECU. The LKA function in camera ECU would calculate torque demand and send it to steering ECU over the CAN network.

I'm thinking camera ECU doesn't need above two compensation functions for LKA functionality? I think the way LKA function works is it compensates for lateral movement by analyzing video provided by the camera? It doesn't matter what disturbances are causing lateral displacement, whether it's wind or something else, the torque demand that is calculated would be output to steering gear to compensate lateral displacement.

I'm thinking above two compensation functions are input to steering assist function and are not needed for the LKA function? I think the lateral displacement gets captured by camera and torque demand that gets calculated includes any environment disturbances, such as wind? If above two compensation functions are input to torque demand, then compensation due to wind and crown road would be applied twice?

I think whether LKA function resides in steering ECU or camera ECU, it doesn't use above two compensation functions? They are for steering assist functionality?

du00000001

Joined Nov 10, 2020
As you seem to have access to the source code (plus documentation?):
Check the inputs of the cross-wind and road crown compensation - these should give you the answer.
(Might be you also have to check whether the output from these 2 compensations is used conditionally. Could be they are calculated continuously but only used when LKA is off.)

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017
I don't have access to the source and documentation.

I do know cross-wind compensation and road crown compensation are implemented in Steering ECU and LKA is implemented in camera ECU.
I'm thinking camera detects vehicle lateral displacement which is input to LKA. LKA output is torque demand that is applied to steering gear to bring vehicle back to initial position or in the center of it's lane. I'm thinking disturbances like cross-wind and road crown will be picked up by the camera and will be considered by LKA function. Therefore, LKA should be independent of cross-wind compensation and road crown compensation functions? Otherwise, these two disturbances will be compensated twice?

I think these two compensation functions are used for steering assist feature, not LKA feature?