Arduino Pc Volume control

JustMe234

Joined Feb 25, 2017
Hello,
I want to build a circuit to control volume of my Pc with a pot or rotary encoder.
I have Arduino uno and Nano both clone version. The part when i got stuck is how to communicate Arduino with pc, i know that i should build a software for doing that but still don't know how.
I am familiar with C++,Java.

Thanks

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just do it over Bluetooth. Probably the easiest way. The hard part is going to be writing a service that will read Bluetooth transmissions then controlling the volume.

I was going to be doing this same project except I would use a pic and a tablet.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
BT can be a PITA, I think doing it over serial will be a lot more reliable, and much easier if you're using an arduino that already has a serial to USB bridge on it. Serial over USB on the PC is easy, there are libraries to do all the heavy lifting.

JustMe234

Joined Feb 25, 2017
I have made one with infrared and work just perfect with a remote. There is a software who do all the thing but it's not made by me the software.
The bluetooth idea is good i will see in future maybe just pass the pot.

JustMe234

Joined Feb 25, 2017
BT can be a PITA, I think doing it over serial will be a lot more reliable, and much easier if you're using an arduino that already has a serial to USB bridge on it. Serial over USB on the PC is easy, there are libraries to do all the heavy lifting.
Yeah i think it can be done with serial communication but i want every time i turn on the pc not open arduino ide and run a project and so on.
Just plug and play

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
You wouldn't need or use the arduino ide on the PC at all once the software is written. You would write a Windows .exe (I recommend Visual Studio IDE) to run in the background or as a service to receive and parse the serial communications from the arduino, and probably send windows messages to change the volume. If you use bluetooth then you might find a bluetooth profile to use that would allow volume control without having to write any code to run on the windows side, but I suspect the arduino side might be more complex. Try both, see which way you like better! :)