ARDUINO error flagging

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
ARDUINO- My program shows errors below in the error section but does not flag them in the program text. Is there any way errors can be flagged in the program text?

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
That's probably something you should ask on the Arduino forum.

Are the line numbers with the error messages insufficient? That's generally the way compilers work.
As mentioned, that's the problem i.e. errors don'y get highlighted

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
As mentioned, that's the problem i.e. errors don'y get highlighted
If you want that feature, you should go to the Arduino forum and ask for it. That would require a level of integration that I doubt anyone would think is worthwhile. I already know what the answer will be, but you should try.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
You do not understand my problem What I want is exactly what you said in your first reply but that's what I can't get.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You do not understand my problem What I want is exactly what you said in your first reply but that's what I can't get.
I haven't done anything with Arduino for a year or so. Could you post the error output so everyone can understand what you're talking about?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
ARDUINO- My program shows errors below in the error section but does not flag them in the program text. Is there any way errors can be flagged in the program text?
if there is an error and a line number in the code is not shown in the error section, then the error is related to the connection from your PC to the Arduino or the setup of the IDE (picking wrong Arduino board, wrong port (or no port), or whatever else can be wrongly or incompletely set up).

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You can’t get what you want…

I use Arduinos in many of my projects. The IDE does not have that feature. However, I’ve always found the line numbers sufficient.

One thing you may not know is when an error is reported in line n, the actual error may be several lines away. And most of the time, it’s due to a syntax error caused by a finite number of issues.

There is a missing semicolon, causing the compiler to concatenation several lines of code into an unrecognizable mess.

The braces, parentheses or other punctuation is mismatched.

I learned to minimize these problems by careful review of your code.

Review line-by-line to double check that all required semi-colons are in place.

When you place the cursor next to a brace, the IDE will display in a top bar, the matching line of code. Use this to your advantage.

Lastly (according to my memory), use the Auto-Format tool. Visually check the code to see if the indented blocks make sense.

I do this every time before I attempt to compile the code. After practice, it became a very easy step; much easier than obsessing over compilation errors.