Arduino ADC, Wheatstone bridge and amp

ibrahim abukharmeh

Joined Nov 10, 2015
Hello,
I have the following circuit, it works with simulator and manged to breadboard it and it works as well on the bread board, note that R6 is Pt100 RTD when prototyping on breadboard, the values of it should Vary from (100 to 138.51) ohm.
Amp Circuit.png
, if i calculated the transfer characteristic using Tina, that's what i get
TF.png
now, i am trying to read the output of the amp using arduino adc, but its not working, its giving random values, not as the predicted one, although that if i measure the output of the amp and the ground from the circuit previously attached using multimeter, it works. my question is what could affect the arduino internal ADC to cause such problem, although that the adc worked, since i have tried to do voltage divider and input to arduino and it works. will i gain anything if i used external adc, will it solve my issue.

Many Thanks for help

Mod Note: Moved to Embedded Systems

Last edited by a moderator:

ibrahim abukharmeh

Joined Nov 10, 2015
i tried to use it, but honestly have no previous experience of using it, what my reference voltage should be,
like should i use 7805 regulator from my 12 volt source and input it to the arduino, or what should i do
hence what i am gonna gain if i inputted 5 volt to it, since its default 5 v
or should i use the ground of my circuit which is basically between two 6 volt supply as reference

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Have you verified the voltage output on U2-6 is what you expect?

Generally an A2D needs a fixed precision reference or any reading will vary as does whatever you do use as a ref.

Someone with Arduino experience will need give you details as that device works, but I am sure you can find t,ons of info and tutorials on the interwebs.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Which model of the Arduino are you connecting it to? The default reference voltage is the Arduino's supply voltage, which varies from model to model.

You have to define the reference voltage using the analogReference keyword. Note that an external reference is limited to 0-5VDC.

How are you connecting your circuit to the Arduino? Hopefully, they have shared common. The + side of VM3 should go to yo0ur analog pin, and the other side should go to ground on the Arduino. Can you share a schematic of that connection?

Also, it might be helpful if you posted your Arduino code.

ibrahim abukharmeh

Joined Nov 10, 2015
i forget to share the ground, mostly that my mistake, do i need to connect the ground from my source to the gnd pin of my arduino, or do i need to power the whole arduino from the same source ,
the way i was connecting was just connecting the out from the amp to A0 from arduino and nothing else.
and my arduino model is UNO R3 Chinese reblica

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
"Ground" can mean many many things so I will not say yes or no without seeing at least a block diagram, but any and every voltage measurement needs to be done across TWO points.

So if your sensor/op amp runs off one supply and your micro off another supply then you need two wires connecting these two modules. The ground symbol on you above schematic should connect to the similar point (zero volts) on the Arduino board.

Using two separate supplies is fine as long as the zero volt point (what I will call ground) can be connected safely.

BramLabs

Joined Nov 21, 2013
Sir Ibrahim Abukhharmeh, i want to ask, why you choose 4.1k ohm and 3.1k ohm as your wheatstone bridge ? Doesn't it make self-heating ?
Thanks