archimedes screw " thought "

kwhkwh

Joined Jul 19, 2016
hi all I was looking at an Archimedes screw with one tube wrapped around from top to bottom moving water upwards and I had a thought, what if there were more tubes wrapped around ,say six, would this increase water movement without increasing strain on the screw or is this a stupid question? thanks... kev

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Lifting more water requires more energy to turn the screw. The extra water weight will also increase wear and tear on the screw bearings.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The extra tubes just add extra complexity without increasing efficiency, so a single tube is likely better for most applications.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Depending on your application, multiple small tubes can have many advantages over one large tube.

You may throttle.

Higher reliability.......if one tube fails, you may still pump.

On demand maintenance.....may repair one tube while still pumping.

Cost.....off the self standard tubes might be cheaper than custom large tube.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Flow resistance varies inversely with the fourth power of the tube cross-sectional radius, so that would be a factor affecting efficiency. Small tubes are more likely to get blocked than a large one.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The extra tubes just add extra complexity without increasing efficiency, so a single tube is likely better for most applications.
There are one-bladed propellers for airplanes -- a counter weight balances it. With slow speeds and low power, they are very efficient. However, I have never seen a turbojet with a single bladed turbine. I think the best number of flights for a screw depends on several factors.

That is not to say that for pumping water I disagree with using only one or two flights. For air, it is often a different story.

John

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Why use an Archimedes screw at all? Are they as efficient as a standard rotary pump? There must be a reason they aren't used since rotary pumps were invented.

kwhkwh

Joined Jul 19, 2016
Why use an Archimedes screw at all? Are they as efficient as a standard rotary pump? There must be a reason they aren't used since rotary pumps were invented.
my original idea was to use an Archimedes screw in a a reducing conicle tunnel as a turbine would this work... thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
They most certainly are used, even for compressible things like air. A lot of high-flow air compressors (>25 HP) are screws.

As for moving corn and other products, rotary compressors don't work so well. They also don't work that well for jack screws when the purpose is effectively to move a nut longitudinally.

John

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"I had a thought, what if there were more tubes wrapped around ,say six, would this increase water movement without increasing strain on the screw"

I think I have mis-understood you.

Could you restate that for me? What do you mean by "wrapping more tubes around?"

kwhkwh

Joined Jul 19, 2016
They most certainly are used, even for compressible things like air. A lot of high-flow air compressors (>25 HP) are screws.

As for moving corn and other products, rotary compressors don't work so well. They also don't work that well for jack screws when the purpose is effectively to move a nut longitudinally.

John
but if the the screw was formed in a cone shape would this compress air drawn in ?

kwhkwh

Joined Jul 19, 2016
"I had a thought, what if there were more tubes wrapped around ,say six, would this increase water movement without increasing strain on the screw"

I think I have mis-understood you.

Could you restate that for me? What do you mean by "wrapping more tubes around?"
if one tube is wrapped from bottom to top why not have more tubes in a screw fashion gathering more water on each revolution ?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
if one tube is wrapped from bottom to top why not have more tubes in a screw fashion gathering more water on each revolution ?
I think you completely missed my point. Multiple screws work, but they are usually coaxial. No need to have the screws operate on separate axes.

John