Anyway to block a thread?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Every once in a while a newbie posts a cutesy subject line the is just annoying. Of course these threads seem to keep popping up. I have no interest in the thread. I really don't want to see it anymore. Is there anyway to block the thread?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How can I ignore it if it keeps popping up in the sub forum list? For one thing, a thread that keeps getting bumped that someone has no interest just clutters the list. It would be nice to be able to set it to ignore.

Sorry but being a newbie on the forum has nothing to do with choosing a proper subject line along with with other forum etiquette practices . Forums and email and have been around for a very long time. Not posting enough content to have a question answered is certainly excusable for a newbie. Not using correct terminology is certainly excusable. For etiquette, it just takes a few minutes of observation to see what is going on.

In addition, most forums like this one have tips for posting that people either don't bother to read before they post or don't pay attention to the tips..

I have been posting on forums since BBS systems. While I can't say I have a perfect record, 99.9% of the time my subject lines described the content of my original messages when posting on a public forum. This was long before rules were set in place. It was just common sense. The content was not always sufficient for a question to be answered but that is excusable for a newbie and sometimes even for an experienced person in a subject matter as sometimes you just sort of assume others understand what is going on in your brain, which of course is absurd but still happens from time to time.

Last edited:

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Every once in a while a newbie posts a cutesy subject line the is just annoying. Of course these threads seem to keep popping up. I have no interest in the thread. I really don't want to see it anymore. Is there anyway to block the thread?
This idea has been suggested on the XenForo community at https://xenforo.com/community/threads/hide-unhide-threads-on-new-posts.52794/#post-564752, but it doesn't seem like it's been implemented yet. Currently, it's only possible to ignore certain members.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Click on the persons name, a box pops up, click, "ignore", and that person is gone.
Not kill the thread, kill everything that person posts.
That's all I know.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I've previously expressed an interest in having a feature implemented that allows me to make the entirety of all threads started by specified members invisible. I still think this is a meritorious idea but now I'll suggest an enhancement to such a feature which I'd like to call "shunning". My profile page would have a public list of members that I shun so everyone would know that if they choose to post to a thread by a member I shun, I won't see their posts to such threads. ;) Is this going too far?

Perhaps, but not if the shunned member is mining this community for answers to standard school questions so that he can turn around and vend said answers to students in a country infamous for making a cottage industry of cheating one's way through school. :mad:

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As with so many things, there's no easy answer. The problem I have with an ignore list is that if someone's posts don't show up in a thread then it can become very confusing to try to follow the conversation because the people that aren't being ignored aren't operating in a vacuum and so their responses reflect what the ignored posts contained -- and often without quoting or doing anything that indicates that an ignored post is needed in order to understand the context of what is not ignored.

Being able to mark an entire thread for ignorance (that would seem to be the right word, but it sure doesn't seem right -- what would the word be for "mark a thread for xxx" where 'xxx' means the property of being ignored?) is something that would not be hard to implement.

As for scattered posts in threads made by people on an ignore list, I would be more likely to use such a list if the posts still showed up but were highlighted somehow, such as a different background color, to give me a cue as to how I might want to take the post before I even start reading it (IF I start reading it).