Anyone knows what component this is?

SjoebergDP

Joined Mar 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm attempting a repair of a battery charger (230 volt --> 12 V Lead Acid, Model QuickItaly NRG 501). The charger works for about 30 seconds before firing an error code (13 - Overvoltage). Upon visual inspection of the mainboard I've found what appears to be a large leaking capacitor (?) of some sorts. Searching for the part number stamped on the top doesn't give any results either on Google, Mouser or Digikey.

Anyone here know what type of part this is and perhaps even can suggest an alternative? Thank you all in advance.

20230304_100232.jpg

20230304_100250.jpg

20230303_090708.jpg

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Centre of your photo is a high-frequency transformer with a ferrite core.
The bad news is that it is almost certainly custom-made for the manufacturer, so spare parts will only be available from the manufacturer. Perhaps your country has a law which requires manufacturers to make spare parts available.
The good news is that high-frequency transformers rarely fail.
The capacitor is out of shot to the bottom right so I can't see if it is leaking or not.

SjoebergDP

Joined Mar 5, 2023
Thank you for your swift reply! What about the possible spill of that brown deposit at the base of the high frequency transformer? Is this cause of concern or normal?

The electrolytic caps on the board all look fine and are not bulging from what I can determine.

SjoebergDP

Joined Mar 5, 2023
Ok, thank you both, there's no evidence then that this particular component is to blame. I did find a busted fuse - perhaps a this turns out to be an easier fix that I first anticipated ;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That big capacitor (lower right of first photo) looks like it might be bulging on top. Capacitor failure is a hugely common cause of power supply failure. It's worth replacing it without testing (ie. shotgun replacement) because it is a component that ages. Even if it's not the immediate cause (but I bet it is, if that bulging is real), putting a fresh one in there will buy more lifetime, assuming you can bring it back to life.