anyone help me build a solar cell phone charger

Matt Stolte

Joined Nov 28, 2015
hello all I have solder certification and 4 years LCD tv repair. but I dont have electronic book smart. I would like to make my first project. I want to build a small solar power cellphone charger. but I want to solder it all to a circuit board. even the usb port. can anyone guide me into a schematic or parts list to create all this please. would need easy following instructions. thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm looking to build the whole project
That is the whole project.

Whenever you contemplate a project, the first step should be to do a make versus buy analysis.

Soldering a bunch of solar cells together, wiring a 5V regulator, and attaching a USB connector isn't very interesting, rewarding, or cost effective.

Unless you want to learn how to make solar cells or design a 5V regulator using discrete components, it's an assembly project; not a design project.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you really want to start from zero, your first chore is to define the specifications. You know you need 5V at the USB port but you will also need enough current and possibly specific voltages placed on the data pins. That will depend on the device you need to charge. Research your devices.

Once you know the current required, you can choose a panel large enough to ensure that current under the minimum lighting you want it to work under. Note that panel ratings tend to be optimistic and many folks are disappointed with reality. I'd suggest applying a safety factor of at least about 2x to cover that and the losses in the DC-DC converter. In other words if your target is 1A or 5W (same thing at 5V), get a 2A or 10W panel or better.

Wingsy

Joined Dec 18, 2016
"Whenever you contemplate a project, the first step should be to do a make versus buy analysis."

True if your only objective is to obtain the thing. If your objective is in the satisfaction of designing/building it yourself then even if you could buy one for a dollar it wouldn't matter.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
"Whenever you contemplate a project, the first step should be to do a make versus buy analysis."

True if your only objective is to obtain the thing. If your objective is in the satisfaction of designing/building it yourself then even if you could buy one for a dollar it wouldn't matter.
I would still argue you should fully understand the make-buy analysis with eyes wide open before you build. I have no quibble if you want to build no matter what, but it does bother me when people build out of ignorance of what's already available.