anyone give me some insight on these two transistors please?

JohnA12

Joined Mar 8, 2021
Hey so I have a question but I can't seem to find it on the internet, its about the power consumption, scale of integration, handling requirements and costs for a Diode transistor logic (DTL) and a TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic). I know it's a lot to ask but would really appreciate it a lot. Thanks:)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
its about the power consumption
We need a schematic.
scale of integration
It will be similar for DTL and TTL.
handling requirements
Handling what?
costs for a Diode transistor logic (DTL) and a TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic)
Is this for a discrete design or an integrated circuit. Transistors and diodes cost about the same in an integrated circuit. For a discrete design, a diode will probably cost less than a transistor.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Possibly you are asking about DTL and TTL types of logic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_family

100's of millions (billions) of logic gates would be one introduction which is a difficult question so let's go further to hear a short discussion of a FinFet
how one person has made a commendable attempt at summarizing. Handling? Variety of equipment inside a late model semiconductor factory working ultra small. An Opinion: When cost is added to the discussion older logic has become obsolete with high density scale leaving it to obsolete market. For example a cell phone board could no longer use it but it could work on other electronic assemblies. Unfortuneatly scale can accelerate supply and demand disruptive course with a surplus market along with lower cost pcbs. In between there are plants handling SOT-363 DTl and TTL parts.
I think that the cost of a uController chip has an effect on which electronic design will dominate when concidering cost of DTL and TTL.
Who would have thought a Pi Pico and the high end accessories would be that important several years ago ?

Last edited:

joniLee

Joined Mar 8, 2021
Who cares? If you burn one up, go to a more powerful one. LOL.
Believe it or not, that's how I did it for years. I had about 25 burnt 2n3055
power transistors trying to swithch an auto ignition coil for a plazma display.
I finaly got it using 2 in parallel. Of course, now, the Power MOSFETS are
amazing. Ya.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The scale of integration between DTL and TTL is about the same.
The went from DTL to TTL mainly because TTL was faster for a given power dissipation.