Another Idiot!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
@tracecom That is not what I said, I realize it is inevitable that humans consume meat from other animals, My "beef"(?) is using the procedure as some kind of sporting event, and there is no guarantee in the procedures used out in the bush that and animal dies as humanly as possible, I don't see that as hypocritical.
You obviously missed post #21.
Richard Dawkins has written eloquently on the subject in the past, he opined that one day Humans will regard useless sport hunting as we now regard Human slavery, once taken naturally by some.
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@tracecom That is not what I said, I realize it is inevitable that humans consume meat from other animals, My "beef"(?) is using the procedure as some kind of sporting event, and there is no guarantee in the procedures used out in the bush that and animal dies as humanly as possible, I don't see that as hypocritical.
Richard Dawkins has written eloquently on the subject in the past, he opined that one day Humans will regard useless sport hunting as we now regard Human slavery, once taken naturally by some.
Max.
Look at the claims of how animals die in slaughterhouses (due to the pressure to process lots of animals in a short amount of time with as few workers as possible) and you might conclude that all animals should be hunted as the more humane alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse#Animal_welfare_concerns

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hunting should be banned full stop. If you gonna kill an animal it should be done for the purpose of food and enjoyment should not be taken from it. If you get a rush from it or treat it as sport then that just makes you sick. To enjoy the act of killing, damn, that's bad.

So where do you draw the lines on what can be killed and why? o_O

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
There is a moral difference in killing an animal because you have to survive and with killing an animal just because it thrills you to kill something for no reason.
No there isn't.

To kill or not to kill and what that life form maybe is simply a matter of personal preference and reasoning thusly largely morally ambiguous.

You kill all the time for your own wants without even thinking about enough to even realize you do it. Where's your moral code? :eek:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Max.
No, it is entirely possible to abstain from eating flesh and using leather. I know people who do so with ease. They are principled. As to what will become the norm in the future, you may be correct. I have already experienced changes in morality I never thought possible.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
As to what will become the norm in the future, you may be correct. I have already experienced changes in morality I never thought possible.
Kinda weird how that is huh?

Doing something our ancestors did since the beginning of time is now is bad yet acting like a totally clueless raving entitled largely useless to society as a whole opinionated nutjob that pushes their highly skewed views on any and everyone any and everywhere they please is acceptable. :mad:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No, it is entirely possible to abstain from eating flesh and using leather. I know people who do so with ease. They are principled. As to what will become the norm in the future, you may be correct. I have already experienced changes in morality I never thought possible. Pink
And do these principled people eschew candles and soap and glue and the many, many other everyday products that are made with animal byproducts? Or do they at least insist on only buying products that are certified free of such byproducts?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
And do these principled people eschew candles and soap and glue and the many, many other everyday products that are made with animal byproducts? Or do they at least insist on only buying products that are certified free of such byproducts?
Some do. In fact, some go so far as to refuse to swat a fly or step on a roach because of their regard for animal life.

And by the way, I don't have to agree with someone in order to consider them principled. Do you?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
So I should step on a roach that is walking in middle of the road simply because it's too hard to move your feet a bit to avoid the bug..

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Many who object to hunting on moral grounds pick and choose what they kill based on their perception of the value of its life. It's okay to exterminate roaches, mice, termites, bottle flies, snakes, mosquitoes, earwigs, fleas, en masse, but don't kill a bear.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Some do. In fact, some go so far as to refuse to swat a fly or step on a roach because of their regard for animal life.
Some do. Most don't.

And by the way, I don't have to agree with someone in order to consider them principled. Do you?
Not at all -- and I would be more than willing to give credit to someone that is willing to go to those extremes to adhere to their principles even if I also happened to believe they were more than a little nutty at the same time.