Anomalous Autocorrect Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello, @jrap.

A persistent and very annoying behavior here on AAC involves the behavior of autocorrect when using my iPad using Safari. If I am in an edit dialog and typing, if I backspace to correct a typo in the middle of a word, autocorrect thinks it is a new word starting from where I backspaced to. This leads to odd portmanteau neologisms as autocorrect jams an unrelated word onto the end of what I intend to type.

I haven’t had this behavior on other sites, nor on this site on the MacOS version of Safari. I don’t know if there is something about the edit box that is causing the behavior, but if there is, it would be very nice to have it remediated.

Thanks!

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello, @jrap.

A persistent and very annoying behavior here on AAC involves the behavior of autocorrect when using my iPad using Safari. If I am in an edit dialog and typing, if I backspace to correct a typo in the middle of a word, autocorrect thinks it is a new word starting from where I backspaced to. This leads to odd portmanteau neologisms as autocorrect jams an unrelated word onto the end of what I intend to type.

I haven’t had this behavior on other sites, nor on this site on the MacOS version of Safari. I don’t know if there is something about the edit box that is causing the behavior, but if there is, it would be very nice to have it remediated.

Thanks!
It's easily fixed by not using Safari for iOS

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If I'm not mistaken it is an helpful response. Autocorrect is a function of the browser not this forum or anything else.
Apple's decision not to comply with HTML5 and trying to add their own implementations which force web developers to redirect style sheet features to an Apple toolbox means one should not blame the website - they should call apple.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If I'm not mistaken it is an helpful response. Autocorrect is a function of the browser not this forum or anything else.

I haven’t had this behavior on other sites, nor on this site on the MacOS version of Safari.

The div that contains the edit dialog has this declaration:

<div style="min-height: 100px;" class="fr-element fr-view" dir="ltr" contenteditable="true" aria-disabled="false" spellcheck="true">

The defined behavior of this attribute is to follow the browser's default if it is not present. So, it seems very possible that the explicit setting of the attribute is causing the behavior and as far as I know, setting it to "false" can be useful for fields that do not expect dictionary words while setting it to "true" is redundant.

So, you are mistaken that the website can have no effect on the autocorrect.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yes, by all means turn off spell check so the website works for one person's current version of their browser and OS and the heck with everyone else. Maybe trying Google Chrome would solve everything - it did for me.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes, by all means turn off spell check so the website works for one person's current version of their browser and OS and the heck with everyone else. Maybe trying Google Chrome would solve everything - it did for me.

Yes, by all means make it so everyone has to use your favorite browser and to heck with anyone who can’t.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It seems to me that the ones having problems the most are those using Apple phones, not those using home computers. One forum I'm on, every time a user of Apple products tried to post photos a moderator need to step in and put them so they showed normal, not at a right angle. or upside down.

I'm just a pure moron but why are you messing in this stuff anyway?
The div that contains the edit dialog has this declaration:

<div style="min-height: 100px;" class="fr-element fr-view" dir="ltr" contenteditable="true" aria-disabled="false" spellcheck="true">

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yes, by all means make it so everyone has to use your favorite browser and to heck with anyone who can’t.
I think you are confused, I don't like chrome at all - not my favorite. But, it works on some websites better than Safari. There are just so many combinations of browser, operating system, available fonts, spell-check engines (add-ins or plug-ins) add blockers, pop-up blockers (native and third party) that it becomes nearly impossible for a web page developer to test all options and design for all permutations.
But please, if you prefer to keep thinking that Chrome is my "favorite browser", continue with your thoughts - you seem pretty attached to your assumptions and I don't want to stir anything up.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It seems to me that the ones having problems the most are those using Apple phones, not those using home computers. One forum I'm on, every time a user of Apple products tried to post photos a moderator need to step in and put them so they showed normal, not at a right angle. or upside down.

I'm just a pure moron but why are you messing in this stuff anyway?
My iPad is a constant companion. It has a full keyboard and trackpad and is much smaller than a notebook computer. It has a "pencil" (Apple's marketing name for a stylus) that can be used to writing, drawing, and annotation. It has a very fast processor so it competes with note book computers for performance.

It also gives me the same editors (for code and text) and terminal program I use on my desktop (Also Apple). It also has a very high quality camera that can take photos and scan documents (it has a program to do the geometry correction and clean up the images). It also has LIDAR and can create volumetric scans and very solid AR.

I rarely have any trouble with compatibility of the iOS or MacOS with websites and web content. Everything I do here is from one of those two operating systems.

I use Windows literally since 1.0 and made a career out of being a Windows expert. Windows was my home on the Desktop and the laptop. I didn't like MacOS < 10, though I used it extensively for some things but when 10.1 was released, I bought a PowerBook because Macs were used by half our EE faculty and I needed to know OS X. It took only a short time for me to realize I was much happier with OS X and its UNIX underpinnings than with Window which had gotten very crusty.

I use/d a lot of UNIX/Linux for many years, and I didn't like switching to the completely different Windows command line environment. Even though I liked the graphical environment far better than X-Window the shell was extra stinky. OS X changed that. I had a laptop home that was both a pleasure to use and with the right pedigree.

I have Windows machines because I am forced to for certain things, but it is my opinion that MacOS is superior to Windows in just about every way, and now with the amazing new Apple silicon, it's even better.

So, that's why.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I rarely have any trouble with compatibility of the iOS or MacOS with websites and web content.
You must be spending a lot of time on sites that can afford a staff to comb through all the permutations of browser, OS, versions, pop-up blockers, ad-blockers, and other add-ins that cause you, your iPad and your Apple Pencil any challenges.

Small-time sites like this just don't have the staff to handle all of Apple's non-standard WebKit css conditional formatting and feature handling.

I have Windows machines because I am forced to for certain things, but it is my opinion that MacOS is superior to Windows in just about every way, and now with the amazing new Apple silicon, it's even better.
Many web developers know they should spend an excessive amount of time to accommodate Apple users because they tend to be loyal and spend more for a given product than Windows/Android users so they are considered "Whales" (profitable customers). Since AAC is not selling anything - not a priority.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think you are confused, I don't like chrome at all - not my favorite. But, it works on some websites better than Safari. There are just so many combinations of browser, operating system, available fonts, spell-check engines (add-ins or plug-ins) add blockers, pop-up blockers (native and third party) that it becomes nearly impossible for a web page developer to test all options and design for all permutations.
But please, if you prefer to keep thinking that Chrome is my "favorite browser", continue with your thoughts - you seem pretty attached to your assumptions and I don't want to stir anything up.
LOL I don’t think that at all.

I was the operations manager for an e-commerce web site. And I know that it’s not “nearly impossible” to test all options. We used to do it every 30 days before a new release.

Why do you think it’s impossible?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020

I was the operations manager for an e-commerce web site. And I know that it’s not “nearly impossible” to test all options. We used to do it every 30 days before a new release.

Because the people who think they are testing all of the permutations (including PITA ad blockers), probably are not testing all permutations and probably are not checking how many unsatisfied users they have (or don't even have a way to monitor trends that may indicate an unsatisfactory user experience). It takes way more time and effort than a single person "team" like jrap or it takes cash to buy into a trend-monitoring service to do it for you.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

Just a note: anyone doing browser detection today is doing the web wrong. With modern browsers and general compatibility browser detection just isn't a thing anymore. Writing portable HTML, CSS, and Javascript is the right way and it doesn't require a list of exceptions to achieve whatever you want your web content to do.

And, with WebKit being the foundation of a huge swath of web consumers today, developed by Apple, supported by Google, and then open sourced, Apple products are not going to be an exception in some fiddly way—more like the norm.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Yaakov isn't the only one having issues. On my PC running Arch Linux and using Chromium now and again it will seem to go into some race condition and stop responding. It is almost guaranteed if I try to reply or post something... maybe related to the original problem or maybe not.

It works right in Firefox so it's not that big of a deal for me. I just figured eventually whatever is going on will be resolved through an update on my end or and update on this end.

Status
Not open for further replies.