Annoying beeping sound

nadie0212

Joined May 26, 2020
Hello everyone. I recently bought thiss little piece of kit. It's HUD unit to see the speed and revs in the car windscreen. The problem is that everytime I do over 50 miles per hour it makes a beeping sound that is absolutely annoying and distracting. There are no options to turn it off.

I wonder if anyone could tell me what part of this board makes that beeping sound and how to deactivate it or damage it (without rendering the whole thing useless). Thanks in advance.

2aee8703-57bf-448b-ba7b-afab73ffde16.jpg

2aee8703-57bf-448b-ba7b-afab73ffde16.jpg

Attachments

nadie0212

Joined May 26, 2020
hi n,
Place a bit of sticky tape over that hole, circular black buzzer, with small centre hole
E
Thank you for identifying the suspect!
Now, I will try the sticky tape, but I wonder if this will be enough.
Generally speaking, I can hear this thing out even in convertible mode, with all the noise around; it really is loud. So I wonder, just in case the tape doesn't work, what else can be done?

Inked2aee8703-57bf-448b-ba7b-afab73ffde16_LI.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
You could de solder the buzzer from the PCB, just two pins, or a blob of glue inside the hole onto the shiny internal disk, that will kill the buzzer for ever.!
E

nadie0212

Joined May 26, 2020
hi,
You could de solder the buzzer from the PCB, just two pins, or a blob of glue inside the hole onto the shiny internal disk, that will kill the buzzer for ever.!
E
What if I drill it sideways with a very small drill? I don't have kit for soldering/desoldering or glue pistol.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
If I may play the role of devels advocate . :)
Modifying a circuit that you don't understand can be dangerous, so it pays to be cautious. Without knowing all the design parameters you can't be sure that your modifications won't have unintended consequences.
Piezo speakers look like a capastor to the driving circuit, typically 10~100nF for the elements used in piezo buzzers. If the driver uses a transformer then it may rely on this capacitance to suppress high voltage spikes and/or 'tune' the oscillation to the correct operating frequency. Without a speaker it may produce higher voltage and/or frequency, which could cause interference or even damage the transformer or other components.;)
However most piezo buzzer circuits do not use a transformer, so disconnecting the speaker won't cause them any harm. Trace the wires from the buzzer back to the driver circuit. If you don't see a transformer there then it should be safe to disconnect the buzzer.:oops:

nadie0212

Joined May 26, 2020
Trace the wires from the buzzer back to the driver circuit. If you don't see a transformer there then it should be safe to disconnect the buzzer
Thanks for your insight, very helpful. However, I don't know what the transformer looks like (I'm guessing the transformer is part of the thingis in the picture, I know absolutely nothing about electronics).

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
If you have a Dremel and soft hands, you can cut the black housing, then cut the internal parts up to its pads on the green board. Just beware to not cut the board itself or any adjacent parts.

nadie0212

Joined May 26, 2020
UPDATE
I used the blue tack and now the sound is definatelly softer. I can barely hear it. I think I'm going to leave it like that, it still accomplishes its function but is not annoying anymore. Million thanks to all of you!