And now for something weird...

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I know the feeling. As a teen-ager on a car trip with my father we were returning from someplace with water and I had a small rowboat tied to the luggage rack on top of the car. I was very disappointed when we got home to see that it had come off sometime on the long drive back home. I hope somebody put it to good use.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
In college I had a rubber raft almost as big as my car tied onto the roof. Once I got going the air would get under it and lift it up enough above the windshield so that I could see to drive. Got pulled over by a cop because he didn't think I could see all covered up like I was. After I told him I could see well enough to know he was behind me with his lights on and to pull over he decided to let us go.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There is a rail line from Knoxville to Birmingham that runs down the middle of the Tennessee River Valley and through Athens TN where we were in the 60s. Some truck from Dalton GA full of carpet got stalled on a crossing and was hit mid-trailer. Looked like a bomb went off with carpet shards everywhere. Cut the trailer completely in two. The driver also escaped before the hit. That is the same line that has a ~10-11' rail overpass several miles north of Athens with no place to turn around for miles. Trucks would have to back up for miles on small twisty county road to get turned around.