And now for something weird...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

First world problems.
Just bought the wife a brand new Galaxy Note 20 ... she's having the same problem. There are cases out there, but most of them are either too expensive or just plain crappy...
And btw, it takes spectacular macros... it's impressive. You'll see a few samples in the pictures thread soon enough.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I wonder if Vinyl sales have increased that much or have CD sales dropped. Probably a bit of both. Seems like streaming is taking over. I know I haven't bought any music in years. I tell Alexa what I want to hear and she plays it. Now is a good time to plug WWOZ out of New Orleans. Love that station. Listened to them for many years, first on the computer now on Alexa. And Alexa by itself sounds good but it's out jack plugged into a real stereo amp with speakers, AWSOME!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A couple of years ago I bought a nice, used WV Lupo for my kid. One of the first things I did, among fixing its AC, giving it a nice paint job, and thoroughly cleaning its upholstery, was buying it a nice good quality sound system.

Imagine how idiotic I felt when I was told by the guys at the workshop that that the sound system was ready, and I showed up with a CD in hand to test it (Dream Theater, if you wanna know), only to discover that the thing didn't have a slot that I could push the CD into! ... it's got Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and even USB ... but no CD, no sir-e... I was told that they were considered obsolete!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A couple of years ago I bought a nice, used WV Lupo for my kid. One of the first things I did, among fixing its AC, giving it a nice paint job, and thoroughly cleaning its upholstery, was buying it a nice good quality sound system.

Imagine how idiotic I felt when I was told by the guys at the workshop that that the sound system was ready, and I showed up with a CD in hand to test it (Dream Theater, if you wanna know), only to discover that the thing didn't have a slot that I could push the CD into! ... it's got Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and even USB ... but no CD, no sir-e... I was told that they were considered obsolete!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've been thru tube AM, Solid State AM, SS AM/FM, SS AM/FM w/ 8 track tape, SS AM/FM w/ 8 track tape and plug-in cassette tape adapter, etc, etc, etc, I have no effin idea what all my Honda van has but it is annoying trying to use what used to be a simple radio.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Just came across this very interesting item, never heard of it til now!
Max.

New Scientist.
An astonishing discovery: a chamber deep underground, packed full of ancient human remains.
The excavators who uncovered the fossils at South Africa’s Rising Star cave in 2013 described the experience as “breathtaking” and “emotional”. Then they took a proper look at the bones, and exhilaration gave way to bewilderment.
This new species of ancient human, which the researchers called Homo naledi, had such an odd combination of primitive and modern features that it was impossible to know how it was related to other ancient humans and, ultimately, to us.

About 20 years ago, it looked like the human evolutionary tree was coming into focus. Then paleontologists started finding ancient humans, like H. naledi, that are so strange, it is as if they had walked off the pages of a Tolkien fantasy.
We can’t expect ancient DNA to help resolve their place in the human family tree because most of these misfit cousins were found in places too warm for genetic material to survive. The trail seemed to have gone cold.

In the past few years, however, we have learned to read the signals in other organic molecules that tend to survive longer than DNA and persist even in warm environments.
Researchers have already analyzed samples of proteins extracted from ancient bones and teeth to reveal relationships between ancient mammals.
Now, some think they could reveal how archaic humans like H. naledi evolved and interacted. “I’m confident that it will be possible to put some of these very unusual hominins on the [family] tree,” says Matthew Collins at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...tangling-humanitys-family-tree/#ixzz6XwW0YY2m

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
LOL, Big Daddy Don G.
Kind of, but not really. Garlits used the 426C.I. *elephant motor* and the sirens used a Chrysler 331C.I. industrial motor, motors that weren't the same as the 331C.I. ones in cars. The earlier Garlits dragsters that used a Chrysler were wedge motors, not hemi's.