And now for something weird...

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
joeyd999 said:
So which is it ? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese Banyan during my Freshman year that "It will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic.
Thanks for the laugh this morning joeyd. Your mind never ceases to impress me.
Brzrkr

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You missed the last part:

So which is it ? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese Banyan during my Freshman year that "It will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic.
I much prefer the nearly identical version that I first heard about 30 years ago but that left out the actual postulate. I think it significantly increases the humor by having to figure out what the postulate was.

"If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese Banyan during my Freshman year and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic."

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
As I learned in a college history class, the only requirement for "Civilization" is having a written language and therefore a written history. Something that the several foreign Nairobi Princes in the class took great umbrage over. They did not care to be called un-civilized (created quite the brouhaha in class that day) because their culture had only a verbal history (tribal lore) before being taught to read and write by Christian missionaries to their country in only the last hundred years or so. So civilization can, in fact, be quite uncivilized depending on who wrote the history of it and the spin they put on it. On another day the young Princes made it quite clear what their take on Women's Liberation meant to them with one of the young men jumping up from his desk and loudly arguing that "woman was created from Adam's rib and therefore belonged to a man and had to do what man told her to do". Which in turn created another huge brouhaha with the American Ladies of the class. Both were a couple of the best days in class I ever had in college. Quite entertaining sitting back and watching the verbal fisticuffs among the combatants. There were no clear winners and all lived to fight other battles after retreating to their neutral corners.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
As I learned in a college history class, the only requirement for "Civilization" is having a written language and therefore a written history. Something that the several foreign Nairobi Princes in the class took great umbrage over. They did not care to be called un-civilized (created quite the brouhaha in class that day) because their culture had only a verbal history (tribal lore) before being taught to read and write by Christian missionaries to their country in only the last hundred years or so. So civilization can, in fact, be quite uncivilized depending on who wrote the history of it and the spin they put on it. On another day the young Princes made it quite clear what their take on Women's Liberation meant to them with one of the young men jumping up from his desk and loudly arguing that "woman was created from Adam's rib and therefore belonged to a man and had to do what man told her to do". Which in turn created another huge brouhaha with the American Ladies of the class. Both were a couple of the best days in class I ever had in college. Quite entertaining sitting back and watching the verbal fisticuffs among the combatants. There were no clear winners and all lived to fight other battles after retreating to their neutral corners.
You had an interesting college experience, it seems... talk about live and unscripted entertainment! ... On a side note, I was taught that the basic requirement for "civilization" is to have mastered agriculture to some extent, and therefore to be a settler instead of a nomadic culture. Written language came afterwards, and it became practically imperative when trade grew and the necessity of record-keeping arose. Just look at the Inca knot system for data collection purposes.