And now for something weird...

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
I just can't understand it. Can't the power companies in the US afford to put all utility lines underground? I remember in the UK power cables (not the high tension lines) were underground and telephone lines were on poles. Bertus wrote that in Europe nowadays telephone and power cables are all underground.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can't the power companies in the US afford to put all utility lines underground?
American only gets one choice?
It couldn't be because wooden poles are so common that it's like they grow on trees.
It couldn't be because little holes are easier to dig than big holes.
It couldn't be because street lights don't shine very well when they're buried.
It must be because American corporations are too poor to dig trenches.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I just can't understand it. Can't the power companies in the US afford to put all utility lines underground? I remember in the UK power cables (not the high tension lines) were underground and telephone lines were on poles. Bertus wrote that in Europe nowadays telephone and power cables are all underground.
And it couldn't be that power companies don't pay for burying power lines. Their customers do.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And it couldn't be that power companies don't pay for burying power lines. Their customers do.
Or because buried power lines have been known to energize manhole covers, metal streetlight poles, ditto for traffic lights, access grates, etc... And subsequently cause death to pedestrians and pets.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Or because buried power lines have been known to energize manhole covers, metal streetlight poles, ditto for traffic lights, access grates, etc... And subsequently cause death to pedestrians and pets.
Or to cause big holes in your yard when something goes wrong.:mad:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

No, they have better things to do with their money.

Analyses are regularly done to say, hey, should we throw away a perfectly functioning system and then recreate a new one except 4 to 6 feet below ground? One that is difficult to repair if the earth shifts? Al the clay and rocks in the northeast, the fault-lines on the west coast, the shallow water tables in the gulf coast, the granite outcroppings from Minnesota to Maine and limestone from Missouri to Indiana. Tough winters that means deeper trenches to get below the frost line The rough winters and cheap road salt combine to a very corrosive mix and becomes most concerning near splices - field seals of spliced insulation is difficult and expensive.

But, the biggest reason we use poles is to make foreigners feel like their home countries are much better than America.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Florida is easy. It's made of sand and almost never has earthquakes. I can dig a 3 foot trench 50 feet long in 45 minutes, but New York is made of granite. I didn't actually look, but I bet New York fence posts are bolted to the rocks instead of buried in holes. You want how many thousand miles of 6 feet deep in New York granite? I don't think so.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Florida is easy. It's made of sand and almost never has earthquakes. I can dig a 3 foot trench 50 feet long in 45 minutes, but New York is made of granite. I didn't actually look, but I bet New York fence posts are bolted to the rocks instead of buried in holes. You want how many thousand miles of 6 feet deep in New York granite? I don't think so.
You have sand. Here in the southeast we have coral. Auger is required even for fence posts.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've seen the power poles in Florida.:D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://heatst.com/life/clown-costum...rged-on-the-spot-warns-north-carolina-police/
Local police warned that anyone dressed up as a clown will be arrested and charged.

“It’s illegal. It’s dangerous. It’s inappropriate, and it’s creating community concern so it needs to stop,” Greenville Police Chief Ken Miller said at a news conference on September 1.

This is so sad.
http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local...us-sightings-have-crippled-business/315403718
It's proving to be a serious situation for professional clowns. So much so, one clown couple has considered giving up the profession altogether. They say they don't have many other options.

Joseph and Lisa Brown, better known as Jazz and Jojo, have made clowning a major part of their livelihood.

"We want to make kids laugh and adults laugh and ease worries away for the day or the hour that we're there or the two hours that we're there," said Lisa.

She’s been a professional clown for 14 years. Joseph, a clown school graduate, is in his 25th year as a clown.